Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Travel Tuesday

Our trip to New York was quick---3 days, but we made the most of it and crammed so much in to the schedule. It was a bit chilly and rainy, but that didn't dampen our spirits in the least! 

The pictures are mixed up. I swear, I'm going to need to break down and get a new laptop! But, it seems silly just to be able to organize my pictures better! Everything else works fine. It's really only a problem when I travel and have a lot of photos to deal with. It's frustrating to not be able to put them in a chronological order. Yes, I can do it if I do them one at a time, but that would take forever! 

So, here goes.
 On day two, we started with the Vessel at Hudson Yards.
 It's totally a tourist attraction---the sort of thing that when you've done it once, you don't need to do it again. It's pretty cool to look out over the city.

We took the subway to the financial district where we experienced a little 17th century New York. We  saw the tavern where George Washington said goodbye to his men before boarding a ship.
Of course, my favorite thing to do---by far---is going to the theater---as often as I possibly can. This trip, I completely forgot that Monday and Tuesday matinee are blackout periods in NYC. That meant we only had time for one play. We picked the BEST!!! Soooo good!
After touring the Vessel, we walked the highline--a mile and a half through Chelsea and the meatpacking district. I'm sure it is beautiful in the spring and summer when all the flowers are in bloom.
 We shopped at Macy's twice!
We visited the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory---now the Brown Building and part of NYU. I had read about this in several books and wanted to visit the spot where 148 female factory workers died in a fire because the doors were locked. There are a couple plaques to commemorate the site.
After checking in to our hotel on Monday, we took the subway to the Lexington Candy Shop. It's the oldest diner in Manhattan. It was fun to experience, but the food wasn't all that great.
The White Horse Tavern is the second oldest in New York. Unfortunately, it was closed! That was dejavu of our girl's trip to Newport where we tried to visit the White Horse Tavern there---the oldest in Rhode Island. It, too was closed for a wedding. Just our luck! Apparently "chains" were a "thing" all the way back then!
 We had to visit the tree in Rockefeller Plaza---
 Day 3 we went to the financial district. This is the bronze statue of the little girl who used to stare down the bull. It's been moved to Wall Street and now stares down the New York Stock Exchange.
 This is the gorgeous tree in front of the NYSE.
I'm really starting to find my way around New York. When we were walking to the White Horse Tavern, I thought to myself---"I think we're near the Magnolia Bakery. Sure enough, it was only a block away. We stopped in and got a cookie.
 The skaters at Rockefeller Plaza. I had to stop in the Kate Spade store that is right there. More on that tomorrow for "What I Buy Wednesdays."
 When we returned from Roosevelt Island, we walked to 5th Avenue passing Bloomingdales. We wanted to browse the windows. We also found the subway grate made famous by Marilyn Monroe.
 This sign was outside of Eataly--the most fabulous Italian market---and so huge! There are food places throughout. There are cheese markets, wine markets, bakery and just about anything you could want.
 On the highline. Just a little reminder that it's time to organize!
 On top of the Vessel.
 Art on the highline---old doors.
 The bull is larger than life!
 The reason we have to use the subway. Traffic is caraaazeeeee! One night, we took one of those motorized pedi cabs and got ripped off. Never again!
After lunch at the Lexington Candy Shop, we rode the sky tram to Roosevelt Island. I had read about this place in so many books. We visited the smallpox hospital---crumbling and old. Near there is the cat sanctuary. They should call it the goose sanctuary. We only saw 2 cats, but dozens of geese! Not worth bothering with.
When Butch and I take a trip---anywhere, big or small, he always finds a way to surprise me. It might be a historical place, a tea room or just some unusual place. This time, we ate on top of Eataly. When you get off the elevator on the 14th floor and walk up a flight of stairs, this winter wonderland greets you. It was awesome! And not a cheap lunch!! He made reservations months in advance--which you have to have if you want to eat here. I love that he always manages to surprise me.
 Washington Square Park. We walked all over this city---18,000 steps the first day!

 Every window in Saks 5th Avenue was a different scene from Frozen II. All the stores had interactive window displays that were pretty neat.
 The smallpox hospital.
 Just about all that's left is the shell.
 The NYSE with the tree in front.
 Macy's Christmas decorations did not disappoint!
This is the opening set for Ain't Too Proud. When the second act opened, the mikes were not working. All of a sudden a voice over the loud speaker says, "Would the actors please leave the stage?" They did. About 5 minutes later, it was fixed and the second act started again. I've never experienced anything like that before. They definitely know what they are doing!

New York is my favorite city. When I'm there, I fantasize about how much fun it would be to live there. Then again, after several days, I just want to see green and breathe fresh air. Still that doesn't mean I don't want to go back---at least once a year! The girls and I are going in September, 2020. We specifically want to see Hugh Jackman as he reprises the Robert Preston role in The Music Man! Can't wait! 

So glad that Butch suggested going for our Christmas trip this year. I want to do something festive each December. You just can't beat New York for holiday excitement! 

Have you done anything fun during the holidays?

2 comments:

  1. That looks like such a great trip and how lovely to go when everything is decorated for Christmas. That building 'The Vessel' looks incredible - and quite a work out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't To Proud To Beg is my favorite Temptations song. It does look like you covered a lot of ground in 3 days.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.