Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Tuesday Thoughts About...

...the Mayo Clinic.

Right about now, Stephanie is rolling her eyes. She has had to listen to me tell about the documentary on Netflix several times now. I can't help it! I was so fascinated by the whole thing. It was 2 hours long and so interesting. I cannot get it off of my mind!

I'm going to touch on a few of the facts here and then maybe I can let it go!! The numbers are staggering!

Mayo Clinic:
150 years old.

Located in Rochester, Minnesota.

St. Mary's Catholic Hospital run by the Sisters of St. Francis is located within the Mayo Clinic which is non secular.

They have 64,000 employees (I cannot wrap my brain around that).

In a 24 hour period, they see 14,000 patients (yes, thousands---mind boggling).

They run 9,000 tests each day.

They do 300 surgeries a day.

They do 4,600 procedures a day.

One Million people pass through their doors each year.

There are 240 radiologists on staff who make their reports within 90 minutes of a test.

All doctors are salaried. Because of this, the doctors there are about the medicine and not about the money. Salaried doctors promote a culture that thrives on collaboration. They work together for the good of the patient. Imagine that!

***************************
The place sounds amazing. I want to see it. I'm putting it on our list for when we visit Minnesota. I cannot imagine what this complex looks like.

And then, the biggest question of all: where the heck do all of these people PARK? I can't imagine.

There Steph, I'm done now.





2 comments:

  1. I bet most of them live pretty darned close to the place, it is huge so they could get a bus - I wonder if the clinic has transport from parking lots ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we have been giving you a hard time about your recent interest in The Mayo Clinic, but this piques my interest in their IT situation! I think their EMR is Epic which means that in addition to their employment situation, they also have SEVERAL EMR analysts dedicated full-time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.