Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Tuesday Thoughts About...

...Recycling.

This makes a lot of sense! This idea is one of the best ways to recycle plastic. It's about 12 minutes long but so worth the listen!

We recycle everything---EVERYTHING! If you don't believe me, come check out our garage---there's so much crap waiting to go to recycle (or Goodwill)---that it looks like the house on Sanford and Son.

With the completion of the new kitchen, I told Butch that I no longer wanted the end of the counter and floor below to be used to collect the recycling. I don't want to see it at all. I wanted a plastic trash bin with a little swing door, lined with a trash bag, in the hallway to the garage. I don't want to look at it constantly. Instead, Butch decided on this:
It's a dinky little basket. Granted, I did a lot of cooking, plus water bottles, plus a wine bottle and a half dozen beer bottles (my niece visited with a friend for the night)---it filled up quick. My concern is that the wall is going to get messed up. I would still like the trash basket with lid because then you would not see the mess at all. This is Butch's department, so I'll be happy with just having it out of the kitchen.
We keep a bag in the pantry for all the recyclable paper. That has been working for us for years now.

I believe in recycling---and I don't know anyone that takes it to the extent that we do (mostly Butch). We bring recyclables home from trips. We drop off at recycle stations on vacation. He's brought a suitcase of paper home from a cruise. He lives it more than I do---for sure. And, for the most part, he keeps up with it. I'm just ready to get the garage in order, cleaned out, floored and re-painted. In order for it to look like the vision I have in my head (I always start with a vision), we'll need to get rid of a couple cars too. That would be the ultimate---cashing in on the recycling!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link. And good for you for being diligent. We are pretty fair recyclers. Indiana is home to many plastic manufacturers, so it is really encouraged here (finding a place to take glass is much tougher). Maybe I have told you before, when we redid our kitchen and added onto the island, I did pull-out trash cans - one for trash, one for recyclables like plastic, glass and metals - that has helped immensely. Cardboard has a container in the garage, and plastic bags on the door to the closet. Paper is recycled mostly upstairs in the den, where I can immediately shred part of it too. The only thing a little bit in sight, hidden behind chair in the kitchen, is the Longaberger basket for newspaper (which is really only the Monday mail insert, as we went digital with our subscription). There is even a green plastic bin near my studio to catch the plastic adhesive refills and recycle those. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We recycle a lot as well. Jay will bring home water bottles from restaurants to make sure they get recycled. We have (like Susanne) a double trash bin in a cabinet - one for trash, one for plastic, glass and metal. Have a pretty basket under the kitchen desk for paper and cardboard. It may be Butch's domain - but you can still buy a nice container to sit in that spot for the plastics and glass!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.