Friday, March 30, 2018

Friday Frustrations

Well, there are times. I try to be optimistic and upbeat most of the time, but there are times. I've decided to start a new meme---Friday Frustrations. Now I won't be posting negativity every Friday, but I want a category in case I need it! I need it!!

The WORST two and a half hours in my whole YEAR has to be doing the TAXES! I HATE it! Yes, capitalized and bolded HATE! Whenever I make this statement, I get, "well, if you had everything organized, it wouldn't be so bad!" And then they tell me what they do. Are you kidding me? I'm the queen of organization! I already have all of my "tax stuff" together in the folder that I marked "TAXES 2018" at the beginning of EVERY January! It's pretty simple to grab the folder and go---or should be. If that was all there was to it, it would be a piece of cake!

Having the stuff together is not the issue. It's filling out that damn booklet! There are so many questions---I think it's about 50 pages long! And maybe it's just me, but there are so many questions I don't even understand. If I don't really know the answer, I "just say no!" I think that works for drugs AND taxes!

First I have to set aside a chunk of time to tackle the job. I procrastinate this as long as I can. It hangs over my head and ruins weeks leading up to it. I should just do it and get it over with. I know this, but still I procrastinate.

Then I have to gather materials.
 Next, I sort in to separate piles.
Then I start. Methodically, I go through the book page by page.  It doesn't take long before I run in to trouble.
My stupid pencil falls apart. Most likely, it's because I never use a pencil and don't really know how this works. All I know is that all of a sudden the lead was pushed in.
I didn't know how to fix it so I got another one. Now I'm back in business!

I make my way through the booklet. Of course, I always come across things I don't have. Luckily, the internet makes it easy to get the information. Then, I have to get reports from my checking account for all kinds of household expenses: utilities, insurance, etc.--- due to Butch's home office. For the past couple years, I've been telling him that it's about time he took over the taxes. After all, I've done it for over 40 years! He won't.

Anyway, I plugged along and two and a half hours later I was done. Okay, I'm only done with round one!
Butch will drop this off to our accountant. This folder is about an inch thick. Every year when I took it in, Alan (our accountant) would tell me that I have it the most organized of any of his clients. I have each bit of information clipped to each corresponding page in the booklet as well as neatly written in the appropriate sections.

Now it's on to round two. I hate this part too. Alan will call on April 14th needing more information. Then the scramble and stress begins again. I just HATE it. Every bit of it!

Maybe it would be fun if we got money back, but that never happens. In fact, that's the final step that I HATE!---writing that check.

Then I get a break for a year and start all over again! It's the worst two and a half hours of the year for sure!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.