Friday, December 2, 2016

What's Happenin'

I guess the biggest news is that we are getting ready to start our major remodeling job. Since we've decided to stay put, Butch and I sat down together and laid out a three year plan. 

So far, we've done several of the outside things that needed immediate attention:
*Repaired the brick steps up to the house---many were loose and in our opinion, dangerous. DONE.
Now when you walk upon the newly repaired steps, you are greeted by these winter boxes that Sara (my garden girl) made for me. They are gorgeous and will look like this all winter.

*I had the arborist out to do some much needed tree trimming. We had what I thought were two trees that needed removing. The Golden Rain Tree in the back might be saved with some pruning, so we left it. I used to have Aaron (my arborist) come out every year to take care of my trees. That was just part of the home maintenance I had done along with window washing, boxwood spraying and driveway sealing. 

We've had a few "un-fun" things crop up. Our furnace went out. That turned out to be a major ordeal with one thing leading to another. We've been without heat on 3 separate occasions for a few days in a row each time. You wouldn't think 61 degrees is all that cold, but in this house it is. I have a friend who keeps her thermostat this low ALL the time. Anyway, the furnace guy was back out yesterday and it's working again. Let's hope for good this time.

*Mounting the tv on the wall was something I wanted to do to get rid of the big tv stand. Butch didn't really care one way or the other. Neither of us were sure we'd like looking "up" at the tv. It took me some getting used to as I got a "crick" in my neck the first day from trying to do my needlepoint and watch tv at the same time. I'm used to it now.
I really like how it looks now. The only problem---well, two things: 1. Butch didn't like how it wasn't centered on the wall. We had the guys back out. Turns out that the bracket had to be mounted on the studs. Long story short--we're getting a new bracket---yes, more bucks. One thing always leads to another. And problem #2.
I can't seem to have things nice for very long. Cleaning out the aquarium is a two day job. I've gotten to where I hate the aquarium. It's a mossy, ugly mess. 

If this were my job, I'd do it before Margarita came to clean. NOT the day after! Did I mention how much I hate messes? I just want things nice. ALL. THE. TIME.
 When the aquarium is all clean, it looks really good. Now to get more fish...

Moving on. Also part of the first year of our three year plan is to:
*Remodel the master bathroom. There's a structural issue that we've known about that needs to be dealt with. This is going to be a full "gut" job. I'll share "before" photos soon. 

*Remodel the powder room. We're doing this first since it's a smaller job. I like the idea of seeing something finished while waiting for the month long job to complete. 

*Replacing the last two toilets. I love our new toilets. The pool bath is not getting remodeled until year 3. Still we're changing out that toilet now.

All of the work is starting right after the first of the year. I'm really excited as I have a clear idea of what I want. Now, it doesn't quite jive with what Butch wants---and he admits (as with the rec room) he can't "see" my vision. As we were discussing details, he said he wants to do something with this window.
What?? I LOVE this window looking out in to the garden. It's really not a privacy issue as the house next door is pretty far away. You do not even see the house when you walk in to the bathroom. 
You just see the outside---trees, garden and yard. Plus, there is only one window on that side of the house next door. I have never seen a light in it, so I don't really know what part of their house it is. Sorry for the bad photo, but it's just starting to get light at 6:30 a.m. Okay, you have to actually step in to the tub to see the garden.

The window is staying and will not be covered by stained glass. I "gave" on the clawfoot tub. Butch didn't like that idea at all. But then, when Christy (our designer) was here, he agreed he was okay with it since she said he could still have a jacuzzi in it. Anyway, as it turns out, I've nixed it after all. It's going to stand 29 1/2" tall. That's going to be a step these short, chubby legs will not be able to make safely! I had a better idea that I'm really excitedly about anyway! 

I'm meeting Christy today to pick out fixtures, tub, tile, and the lighting. I'm not giving too much away yet, but will soon! So excited!

When Butch and I were discussing everything, I asked him, "now are we going to fight through this whole project too?" You might recall that we fought through the rec room remodel a couple years ago. He just wants way more input than I think necessary. When he was working, he didn't care what I did. Now that he's home, all of a sudden, he has opinions! 

He answered my question with, "probably!" 

And there you have it. It could be a rough couple of months!

4 comments:

  1. ...and there I was thinking that after all these years you were a role model in how to train a husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr M said "do whatever you want" and then complained! I gave him the LOOK and reminded him that abdicating responsibility means you shut the ???? up with the opinions. Perhaps he had a secret word with Butch

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing is to get him to buy into a few of the key decisions up front, and then everything else you want to do, do it like you like - then just remind him that it is what will look best with the decisions already made. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like some great projects . . . and hopefully the fighting will be minimal! :) We've got several projects planned for after the first of the year, too. Since Robbie got a new job this year, we're doing all the things we had on hold in case a new job resulted in a move. You're further along in planning - I'll make a detailed plan after the holidays - kitchen remodel, living room furniture, guest bathroom remodel, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.