Friday, December 20, 2013

What's Happenin'

Outside my window: let's just change this one this week and call it What's under the house: We've been battling the mice. They're getting in under the sink. We've "caught" 6 in a week. I want to call the exterminator and have about 2 dozen traps set under the house. Butch wants to keep battling them on his own. I don't want to deal with this through the holidays. We'll see. Next thing you know, I'll have snakes under there---just like the Lapps family. Oh, and BTW---their exterminator told them the best thing to use on the traps is whiskey. Peanut butter or Velveeta cheese is working well for us.

I am thinking: that I want to get the rest of my major grocery shopping done bright and early this morning---like 6:30 a.m. I should definitely beat the crowds. Luckily, I've already done most of it.

I am thankful for: this joyous holiday season. I always love Christmas, but each year, I'm ever more grateful for the opportunity for all of us to be together. 

From the kitchen: I've definitely been on top of cooking and baking this holiday season. In fact, I have way too much now. I need to remember that other people give us baked goodies too. I think my freezer club will be benefiting from the banana and pumpkin breads I have in the freezer.

I am wearing: a big smile as I start my fun day!

I am hoping: to  finalize the holiday schedule and job list for the week. I post them on the refrigerator so the kids can see what's going on. They like that. Plus, with so many people, the work is easy. They like knowing what their jobs are each day too. I haven't done the job list in a couple of years.

I am reading: The World's Strongest Librarian. It's the true story of a man who has Tourette's Syndrome. I'm half way through and so far am liking it pretty well. I'll definitely finish it by the end of the year. I'm also 3/4's of the way through Amerian Pickers. I should finish that too. When I do, my book count for 2013 will be 38. Really, the only reason I've been able to read that many books this year is because none of these were thousand page books. 

I am busy creating: I've had such a productive week. I was happy to get one more layout completed for one of the grandkids. They will each be getting several pages. A few years ago, Morgan asked if I would make her another scrapbook. My initial reaction was that I would have to make each one another scrapbook---that would be 5---just about a whole year's worth of layouts. Instead, I came up with an idea to make them each a layout for their birthday and one for Christmas---that they would add to their album each year. I missed the birthdays this year, but I'm making up for it at Christmas. They'll each be getting 4 layouts and some will get 5. I just scrapbooked whatever I wanted and it just about came out even. I'm going to miss some of those layouts.

As far as stitching goes, I was thrilled when Jordan recently asked me if I would needlepoint something for her. She really is becoming an adult. All of a sudden, she would like to have a pillow or picture. I've promised her something for next Christmas---which I'm already about half way finished with (the timing was perfect as I was just about to finish the star santa). I'm wondering now if I should just go ahead and show her, or let it be a surprise. I love to have surprises, but I'm always excited too. All of the grandkids are getting the skate ornaments I made this year. 

 I'm bummed: about those dang mice. I can easily start obsessing about them.

I am hearing: the slight roar of the gas fire.

Around the house and garden: this is what I'm doing each morning these days:
I got this new mug from a friend. It's huge and perfect for my wassail. I was thrilled to get these handmade ornaments from friends too:
 Jennifer, made this out of card stock. It is so dainty and cute.
This beaded beauty was made by my friend, Sally. She makes the most exquisite beaded ornaments. I was so happy to be the recipient of one.

In other news:
 I took Jordan clothes shopping for her birthday. Apparently, Steph's not the only one in their house that likes "fun" socks. I spied these under the dressing room door. In case you can't tell, her socks have little owls all over them. Mindy makes fun of Stephanie every year when she puts "fun" socks on her Christmas list.
 I can't believe I'm going to say this, but could Mindy---our family fashion icon---be out of the loop?
These "fun" socks were in Hollister. Even the teens like them. Ahem, Mindy, maybe you better get with it!

One of my favorite things right now: going to the theater during the holiday season. I've already been twice and am taking some of the family on Sunday to A Christmas Story---which has to be my all time favorite holiday play. I've seen it so many times that when I watched the movie on Sunday, I realized that I LOVE the play so much better. If you ever get a chance to see it on stage, take it.

I appreciate: my friends and our annual lunch at The Palm. It's a fancy---read that expensive---restaurant that we go to each year at this time. Today's the day.

I regret: that I really don't have any regrets right now. I got the Christmas closet cleaned out, the oven cleaned (okay, it's self-cleaning, but I still have to remember to run it and wipe it out), the freezer defrosted and the dishwasher cleaned. Considering it's the hustle and bustle of the season, I've gotten quite a lot accomplished. I guess I regret that I'm bragging, but I am. I've always been obnoxious at Christmas. Remember this post?

How the weekend is shaping up: we're kicking it off with happy hour this evening. The sisters---as in nuns---come tomorrow morning for their annual visit. Stephanie and I are going to pick out  invitations for their "after the wedding party". The Lapps arrive around 3, followed by happy hour and the family trivia party at 6. I started that years ago (8 to be exact) as a way for our grown children to see their childhood friends. It's a lot of fun and the grandkids look forward to it each year. If everyone comes---which never happens---the count would be 57. We usually have between 40 and 50. We rotate houses each year and everyone brings food and questions. It's always a lot of fun.

Sunday we're having brunch at the club and going to the theater. And that's just the weekend!

I hope y'all have the best holidays---lots of fun with family and friends, good food, and beautiful gifts. Don't forget to rest---I wouldn't want you going in to 2014 with a cold!!


2 comments:

  1. I put fun socks on my list every year too - they are able to brighten a morning up so nicely. You have got a lot done - have a wonderful restful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie finished our grocery shopping on his way home from work yesterday (because I'm down with the flu UGH). I have one more book that I'm trying to finish to bring my total to 118 for the year. [Did I tell you that I read Widow of the South based on your recommendation? Really enjoyed it & Robbie is reading it now.] I'm a huge fan of "fun" socks, especially ones with toes!

    Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.