Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas Movies

Everyone has gone to bed and I'm enjoying a little down time and stitching. I decided to watch a Christmas movie.

I just finished watching one of my favorite movies. It's an old, little known film---at least no one I know has ever heard of it. I haven't seen it in about 30 or 40 years---maybe even 50. I saw it for the first time when I was in grade school. I was probably 10 or 11. It has stuck with me. I just cried all the way through it again.

All Mine to Give is a true story about a husband and wife from Scotland that have immigrated to the U.S. (Wisconsin) in the mid 1800's. They eventually have 6 children---3 girls, 3 boys. That's all I'm going to say. It's quite a tear jerker. I love those kinds of movies that touch me deeply. Turns out they titled it The Day They Gave Babies Away in the U.K.

Of course, I have a few other personal favorites: It's a Wonderful Life
 I tried to watch that this year, but there were commercials and that ruined it for me.

Miracle on 34th Street

 A Muppet Christmas Carol
This is my most favorite version of A Christmas Carol---and it's not just for kids. Michael Caine is an added bonus!

A Christmas Story
I've seen the stage production more times than I've seen the movie.
In fact, I just took the family today. I just love it---it ranks in my top ten favorite plays!
Of course, I had to buy this:


I just realized that's Five things---and it isn't even Thursday.  Just keep your eyes and ears open for All Mine to Give. So, so good.

Here's hoping that you can take a little time and enjoy a Christmas movie.

4 comments:

  1. The Day They Gave Babies Away! The title alone would have put me off! I love to watch a few Christmas films too. Last night I watched Love Actually as I decorated our Christmas tree. Merry Christmas to you & yours Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were just given a copy of 'A Christmas Story' by my SMom who was astonished we've never seen it, got Elf too and will watch them after Christmas (as they are wrapped ;) We watch the Muppets Christmas Carol every Christmas Eve, as well as the Muppet Family Christmas every Advent. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we love Muppets Christmas Carol here, and National Lampoon and The Santa Clause

    ReplyDelete
  4. We really enjoy It's A Wonderful Life & Miracle on 34th Street, too (although we usually watch the newer version with Mara Wilson as the little girl). A Christmas Story is one of Robbie's favorites & we're so jealous that his brother & family got to go to the house in Ohio this year (it's a museum now). Robbie (of course) has a leg lamp in his collection . . . and a Red Ryder BB Gun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.