Saturday, December 7, 2013

What's Happenin'!

Outside my window: We're supposed to have snow. But it's still dark, so I haven't actually looked outside and now I'm too lazy to move from the fire to look. Okay, that's pathetic. I got up and looked. No snow, but bitter cold---29F. I guess that's not really all that bitter either.

I am thinking: That after a busy week, I'm excited to get up in my scrapbook room. I have some organizing to do, kits to put together and a class handout to write. 

I am thankful for: Amazon and "to my door" delivery! I like being able to find exactly what I want without having to drive all over town hunting.

From the kitchen: I've had a very productive week. 
I defrosted the freezer before doing the major holiday shopping. Plus, I made two loaves of banana bread and a batch of spinach balls to put in the freezer.

I feel kind of bad for Butch, but not really. I do this ALL the time, but especially at this time of year:
I go a little crazy with the post it notes. I constantly find "stuff" for him to do. Add to that---Steph and Mindy's "to do" list---well, I feel a little bad for him. He had to meet the plumber at Steph's this week. Today or tomorrow, he's going to Mindy's to replace her shower head. Guy stuff. I'm glad I'm not one.

I am wearing: Still in my nightgown. But as soon as I finish this, I plan to put on some comfy clothes and a sweatshirt. Socks and slippers, of course.

I am hoping: To watch a Christmas movie this afternoon while I wrap the few things that have come in this week. I already did ALL the wrapping last weekend. I love to see the presents under the tree. 


 I don't put bows on the family gifts. Since I like to make my own, it's a little too time consuming.


I cannot take credit for all of these. Sandy left some of her gifts at Thanksgiving. I only put gifts under this tree that are going to friends so they don't get mixed up with the family gifts. Ordinarily, it wouldn't look this good. But since Sandy left hers, it's so nice to have this to look at!

I am reading: Mr. Churchill's Secretary. According to a friend, there's three books---I think it's a series. This one is really good---mystery set during WWII. I'll finish it this weekend, but then I need to get started on my book club books. 

I am busy creating: I haven't really created anything this week, but I did finish my star santa needlepoint. I'm going to do my Project Life layout for November later today---when/if I get my class materials in order.

 I'm bummed: That I got blocked in again on Thursday. It's just so rude for people to do that. With my big car, it's sometimes hard for me to tell. So after I park, I pay attention to the car next to me. If I'm too close, I get back in my car and move it a bit. That's just common courtesy. Remember, my whole philosophy in life is to "be nice." 

Another thing I'm bummed about---I just nearly slammed my computer on the hardwood floor by getting my toe caught in the cord. Thank goodness, I caught it! That was close!

I am hearing: The purr of the furnace and the whirr of the fire (this one is a gas fireplace, so there's no crackling sound.

Around the house and garden: I think we've finally burned our way through the "buggy" wood. One more fire should do it. I'll be glad to be done with that.

In other news: I had my day group here yesterday---minus two. 
We started with wassail, played a few games and had champagne before lunch. 

We celebrated Mindy's birthday last night. She opened her gifts during happy hour. We went to Sperry's for a fabulous dinner. They are known for their steaks, but Mindy, Nicky and I had lobster. It was delicious---including the pumpkin cake we had for dessert with cream cheese icing.

One of my favorite things right now: Right now, it's hard to pick just one. I love all of the sights, sounds and smells of the holiday season. 

I appreciate: Wassail and egg nog for the holidays. I haven't had any egg nog yet, but I made my first batch of wassail yesterday. It's so good and makes the house smell so good too. I've been using this recipe since the 1970's and everyone loves it.
 Wassail
1 qt. apple juice
1 pt. cranberry juice
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. whole allspice
1 tsp. whole cloves
2 sticks of cinnamon
Put all of the juices in a pot and simmer with the spices. I put the spices in a coffee filter that I staple together for ease of removal. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. You can reheat it in the microwave and it's taste great!

I regret: Mostly, I do not have regrets. It's always so hard for me to come up with something in this category. So, I guess I'd have to say that "I regret that we could not come up with a time for "family baking day" this year. Everyone is so busy and it doesn't help that we have one less weekend before Christmas." Butch is going to help me---although we haven't scheduled it yet!

How the weekend is shaping up: We don't have anything else planned for this weekend. But next week is a different story! I have a lot of fun things planned with my friends---a Christmas concert on Monday night at the Cathedral and a tour of the governor's mansion on Tuesday. I love to do festive things during the holidays. My friends rely on me to plan them!

On another note, Greg just got home after being overseas for two weeks. He gets to start off his weekend with "Girls on the Run" with Elizabeth.
I love pink on men, but he hates it. I feel kind of bad for them. Although it's warm---63F---it's rainy.
All the girls on St. Gabriel's team were given the mohawks so they could be easily identified. They won't be running in them. Clever idea.

That wraps up another "what's happening'" post. But I did have a question for all of my blogging friends. Is there a search feature that can be put on my blog? I've been blogging for so many years now, that it is nearly impossible to go back to a previous post. 

OMGosh. I just answered my own question. I'm a Mac user. One of my favorite features is "spotlight." It's the little magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner. I always used it when I'm searching for something on my computer. But I didn't think it could possibly work for things on the internet. I decided to give it a try. I put in "being nice" and up popped the post I wrote back in May! Unbelievable! That makes me so happy.---like giving a Christmas present to myself! Yippeee!

I hope you have the best weekend and something good happens. It's all a gift!


5 comments:

  1. Yeah for productive weeks - fun mohawks. I love spiced juice/wassail - great tip with the coffee filter too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got the snow here, and LOTS of ice . . . we've been iced in for two days, but it's nice & snug inside with the fire going & we luckily have not lost electricity. Nice catch up today!

    When I'm logged in to blogger & reading other blogger blogs there's a box in the top left of the screen where I can search for something in that blog. (Hope that makes sense!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, THANK YOU! I never noticed that box before. It worked great!!! I found something that I've been searching for to use as journaling for a page I did. It was written in 2008. I was so happy to find that. I actually did the page and had to recreate the journaling from memory. I'm so glad to have found it now. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. Your tree is looking very festive, and the wassail sounds lovely - I can almost smell it from here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh your tree looks beautiful. At this time of year i have lists upon lists and post-it notes scattered around! Never heard of Wassail ...sounds good x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.