Sunday, May 20, 2012

A Little of This and a Little of That

In this politically incorrect world, I'm so happy that our pastor has some sense. Today is our Church family picnic. Although we don't intend to go, one of our priests showed from the altar, the huge, battery operated super soakers that he and Father Dexter would be sporting. He encouraged all the kids to bring their squirt guns.

Guns of any kind are a real "no no" these days. Mindy had a friend that got expelled from his exclusive boy's school for having a squirt gun. I even made the comment recently that Butch is so happy to have the next generation enjoying our old Nintendo (that would be because we don't own any other gaming system). But I wonder if they even sell "duck hunt" now-a-days. I remember the first time I saw Elizabeth with the "gun" I worried that her parents might be upset. Then I thought, "what the heck---it's just fun." I think kids know the difference between a real gun and a plastic one---or a super soaker, for that matter.

Bought myself a new pair of running shoes although I don't intend to run. They're actually cross trainers. Besides Curves, I'm getting back to the dreaded tread mill. I'm doing that at 5 a.m. before meeting the girls at Curves at 6. It can only be good for me. Getting it out of the way in the early morning is the only way to go for me.
St. Dominic's courtyard at St. Cecilia Academy makes me happy every time I see it.
This is the view once you enter the courtyard. I designed this by myself. It was such a large project that I was nervous. So, I called the director of our botanical gardens at Cheekwood and asked him if he would meet with me and look over my plan. I wasn't a professional (and am still not), just an eager master gardener graduate at the time. When I met with Bob Brackmann, he said my plan was "really good---did I want a job?" Of course, when ever I get offered a job, my standard response is, "no thanks, I don't want to work that hard."
When Butch and I chaired the capital campaign for the new wing, I knew we would designate our dollars  for the naming rights to the garden.
When it came time to buy the plants and trees, I drug Sister Mary Elizabeth with me to Home Depot. I was told that they didn't donate to anyone. I'm not afraid to ask anyone for anything, but wanted sister there because no one can turn down a nun---especially in full habit (sorry, I couldn't find a picture of her). She was the principal at the time. I told her I would do all the talking. I asked to speak to the store manager. He didn't hesitate when I asked for a dozen trees and plants. Sister said, "oh bless you sir." I knew it was in the bag then. I drove it home with, "and can you throw in the delivery?" It was my finest moment---after the planting, of course. I enlisted the help of a few SCA alumns that were in my garden club. Everything is so big now compared to when we first started out. Satisfying indeed.
Our family juggler. Mindy taught herself to juggle in 2010---it was her New Year's resolution. Strange but true.
 


Mindy's fascinator we made for Steeplechase. I guess that's about the third one I've made for her. She has a whole shelf in her closet for them. I just told her that from now on, if she wants my help, it has to be in the morning. I'm just not a night person. The thought of tackling a project at 7 p.m. just makes me tired. She always waits until the last minute.

My recent antique store finds---just the little potty and the pin. The "big" potty I already had. How many potties do you need? The "big" one is going to someone else I know with a pink scrapbook room. I put the penny there so you could get an idea of the size.
Our new "made in America" Whirlpool refrigerator. Butch did the research. This one had the highest consumer rating. One thing I didn't like right off is that if you only open the left side, when you close it, the right side pops open just a little. When I told Butch about it, he said that's why there's an alarm on it. If it's open for too long, it signals you to shut the door. Actually, I'm already in the habit of making sure it's shut. I was worried about other people not shutting it. Hence the alarm. Good idea Whirlpool!
 This is about all we'll keep in the freezer since we have a big freezer in the mud room: ice cream, extra ice, coffee, frozen mugs and our ice packs. Butch put a loaf of bread in also, but that's not such a good idea. Cool Whip is okay, it's not "real" anything anyway.
 I wanted this style for more interior refrigerator space. As it turns out, I think it's about the same as our old side by side. Habitat for Humanity was happy to get the old one.
If you are an oatmeal lover, you have to try steel cut oats. They are the best. We're all hooked on them.
 They are grainier than regular oatmeal. If you like nuts and seeds in your breads, then you will like the texture of this oatmeal.


I am such an impulse buyer at the grocery store (anywhere, really). This week, on my way to check out, I chose the pet food aisle since I knew I wouldn't be tempted to get anything from there. Seems there is more on the pet food aisle than I realized. I found this cording there. I'm always on the lookout for things in bulk for my classes. 500 ft. sounds just about right!!

It may be a few days before I post again. I've said all I have to say for now....


2 comments:

  1. You are one busy lady! I love the image of you going negotiating with a nun for back-up..

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I love your refrigerator! I want one like that - unfortunately it would fill my kitchen! One of these days we'll have space. Well, a person has to have a dream

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.