Sunday, May 13, 2012

It's All About the Hats!

Yesterday was Nashville's biggest social event of the year--- The Iroquoise Steeplechase! We've been going for 25 years---except for a couple when we went to First Communions. Then we gave up our box to Stephanie, Mindy and their friends.

The horse racing is fun and we do a little betting. But the "thing" about Steeplechase is to be seen! The hats are usually necessary due to the hot sun. This year, it was overcast the whole day with temperatures in the 70's. We had a little shower in the afternoon, but that's a far cry from the usual, sweltering 90+ temperatures. We all agreed we'd rather put up with a little rain than that scorching heat.

It's a long day---we leave our house at 10:15 a.m. and don't get home until 6:15-6:30. This year, the hats didn't disappoint. The only thing that did was my camera. My battery ran out about 2 hours in.

Steeplechase is the only time you are allowed to point in polite society. Here's what I got:



 Here's Stephanie and Nicky. Mindy was supposed to email me the picture I took of her with her camera (since my camera died). Too bad---she looked really cute with the fascinator I made for her.
 Giant rose. A little over the top.




 My favorite fascinator. Stephanie said she thought it looked like it was a Halloween headpiece.
 All of us: Connie, Me, Karolyn and Pam. 
 The guys: Butch, Bruce, Jack and Hugh. 
 Some of the hats are adorned with fresh flowers too.







 This one was one of my favorites---fuchsia and orange---I love that color combination.
 Any hats are allowed! Actually, I was trying to get a shot of the really neat beige hat next to that pink shirt. I also like the dark brown hat too.
 Some people choose not to decorate their hat. They prefer to do their hair instead.

I really liked both of these hats. It's sort of hard to get good shots as the people are constantly moving. About the time you have the shot lined up, someone steps in front of it. I took about 50 pictures. These were the best.

The day ended on a sad note. The horse that won the Iroquoise (the last race of the day) died of a pulmonary aneurism. We knew something was going on as we could tell the horse was down. They surrounded the scene with tarps. Connie saw them pouring ice. We thought the horse was just over-heated.

Until next year---oh wait, we won't be there. It's Elizabeth's First Communion. Stephanie and Mindy are happy to have the box again. This year was a real hassle for them---getting tickets and, of course, parking. We don't have that perk anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.