Monday, November 20, 2023

Me on Monday

Oh gosh. Where do I begin? Okay, here goes.

We leave for Thanksgiving with the newlyweds tomorrow. Since I wanted to have most of my Christmas decorating finished before we leave, I've had a lot to do. A whole lot. Here's my list:
I've finished most things, but everything I planned to do yesterday pretty much came to a halt. My computer started acting up. I freely admit, I am addicted to my computer. My whole like is on it. It's how I communicate. I write on my computer. I watch YouTube videos while I scrapbook. I keep track of everything with my computer. I am simply lost without it. 

So here's what happened. I was writing a Storyworth story when all of a sudden every time I typed anything, it would do this: bdadrdbd--whatever I typed, a "d" would be inserted after each letter. A really weird problem I never heard of before. So, I restarted my computer. That didn't work. It still happened. I didn't really have time to deal with that before leaving town. I decided I'd just take care of it when we get home.

 Then, when I was working on a craft project (more on that later), I had a YouTube video of Ali Edwards playing--she's my favorite scrapbooker. Well, the cursor was acting all weird and a box with numbers popped up and kept flashing. I closed out of that and set up an appointment for the Apple Store. After making the appointment for 12:45, I ended up shutting down the computer completely.

I left shortly after noon and got back home at 2 p.m. The "genius" thought it was most likely a software problem because when he ran the diagnostics, no problems popped up. So, if it was a software problem, then there would be no charge to fix it. He launched into a spiel that had my head spinning. "If it turns out to be this it will be $400, but even if we have to get more parts you won't pay more than that. Or, if it's this, it might be $600...blah, blah, blah." He was talking so fast and most of it was way over my head!

I left my computer knowing full well that he was going to "wipe" it. I have everything saved in the Cloud, so I would be able to get everything back. He told me that it would take a couple hours. I went back at 4 p.m. Well, wiping it didn't fix the "d" problem. 

So that meant, I had to wait for about a half hour for the technician to come and talk to me about the next step. While waiting, I was checking out my computer and realized that everything was still downloading from the Cloud. I set my desktop photo, I set up my mail account--it's a lot of work! I had to download a couple apps again. and log in to every app I use all the time--Instagram, Facebook, Storyworth, Feedly, etc. That led to having to change a bunch of passwords because my computer was now brand new again and no longer recognized anything! What a hassle!

When the tech finally came out, he said that he had other things to check. Same sort of quick talk occurred, "if it's the keyboard that needs replacing it will cost such and such. If it's the logic board, it will be this much. But first I'm going to replace the "d" key." I was thinking, "Why didn't he already do this?" 

So he took my computer in that back and I waited and waited. I'm thinking that before I get out of there it's going to cost me $500. Imagine my surprise when he told me that by replacing the "d" key and cleaning under it---fixed it!! What? Now I'm wondering if I even needed to have my computer wiped back to the factory settings. 

There were a few things I needed him to help me with. I asked how much I owed. He said, "Nothing!" What??? He said there was no charge. I was shocked and happy. 
Well, except for one thing. 

Remember how I've mentioned that I have an obsession with fonts? Well, they are gone!! Don't get me wrong, I still have 360 that come preloaded on the Mac. But I had 841 neatly organized in folders. All of it is gone. I cannot tell you the hours I've spent organizing, making lists and downloading fonts. In fact, last week when we were at the wedding I spent at least 2 hours scrolling through and playing with my fonts to find some really good ones for my scrapbook journaling. Now, that list is obsolete--unless I want to go back and download all of them again. I think I'm not going to. I think I need to just let it go. 

Actually, I don't really understand how that happened. Because whenever I get a new computer, those fonts always transfer with the folders. I don't know, maybe they are still up there in the Cloud. My brain is just too tire to think about it or try to figure it out.

At least all of my photos and albums are still there. I don't know what I would have done if I lost them.

So, today I have a pretty busy day---dental appointment, bank, post office, nails, grocery shopping, appointment with 10 yr. old neighbor boy who's going to stop by and check for packages while we are out-of-town.  

Stephanie and I were supposed to go to a concert tonight, but I've cancelled that. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be anyway. I thought I bought tickets for Walker Hayes. Turns out it's some sort of fund raiser called Country Cures Cancer. There are several artists with Walker Hayes being the big name. It doesn't even start until 8 p.m. which means he probably won't play until 10 p.m. Here's the kicker. There are NO seats! It's called a "standing room only" concert. I should have known something was up because it's at a place I've never heard of before called "The Brooklyn Bowl" Nashville. Steph and Mindy know about it so at least it's legit. But still, I feel totally ripped off. I should have known because the tickets were only $60. You get what you pay for. That's why I don't like to be the one to buy tickets. It's too complicated. 

I guess I was just blinded by Walker Hayes. Love him!!

Okay, so that's what's been up with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.