Saturday, February 10, 2018

A to Z Books


Author you’ve read the most books from.
Now that depends on the time in my life. Early on, I read The Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew Mysteries and Agatha Christie. I read every Stephen King in the 70's and 80's right up until It. That was too far out for me. Since then, I've read a few more and am back to loving him. I read anything by Jeffrey Archer (and continue to read him), James Patterson, Barbara Taylor Bradford. Most recently, my most favorite authors are Jodi Picoult, Kristin Hannah and Liane Moriarty. I love any books with twists you don't see coming. 

Best sequel ever.
That's a hard one. It seem like a lot of the books I read these days are series. I don't think I can pick a single sequel.

Currently reading.
Betty Smith's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I read this back in high school---not for school, but because I wanted to. I loved it then, so am happy to re-read it for book club. Liking it all over again! I just finished Promise me Dad by Joe Biden. It's pretty sad and hitting very close to home right now.

Drink of choice while reading.
Hot tea---definitely or water.

E-reader or physical book?
Totally love my Kindle---never thought I would, but I do.

Fictional character you probably would have actually dated in high school.
I would have liked to date Romeo or Oliver Barrett the IV, but my heart would have gone to Heathcliff!

Glad you gave this book a chance.
There are many books I never would have read if it weren't for my book clubs. A few that stand out in my mind as books I never would have chosen are The Sparrow and The Hunger Games series. 

Hidden gem book.
Tattoos of the Heart by Gregory Boyle has to be my favorite. It's about the power of boundless compassion and is the most beautifully written book I've ever read. It's 5 stars of over 1200 reviews!

Important moment in your reading life.
I guess that would have to be when I was reading The Winter Garden. I had to keep stopping because I was crying so hard. Butch came along and said, "what's the matter, are your allergies bothering you?" I said, "are you kidding me? We've been married 40 years. You know I don't have allergies! It's my book!" Another was while reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I was crying on the patio as Butch came around from the garage to see what was going on! I LOVE books that move me!

Just finished.
A Gentleman in Moscow. Wow, considering it was so highly rated, it was a difficult read for me. Luckily, it all came together in the end. (I started this post a couple weeks ago.)

Kinds of books you won’t read.
I don't read fluff. I hate that and consider them a waste of time. I want to learn something. My preferred genre is historical fiction (or non).

Longest book you’ve ever read.
Atlas Shrugged---although anything by Stephen King is just as long. With Atlas Shrugged, I felt like it was an accomplishment. If you want to understand the difference between republicans and democrats, read this book. You can really see both sides.

Major book hangover because of…
My Sister's Keeper. I sobbed so much and couldn't get it out of my mind for days. Love books like that.

Number of bookcases you own.
Bookcases---heck, I have an entire library. Plus, I have books in every room!

One book you have read multiple times.
Sometimes I've re-read a book for book club if it's been a few years. The only other books I've read multiple times were To Kill a Mockingbird as a teenager and Wuthering Heights from teen to adulthood (actually, I've only read it three times).

Preferred place to read.
In front of the fireplace, in the tub, in bed, in the recliner, Starbucks and in my car.

Quote from a book you’ve read that inspires you.
I'm not good at remembering quotes. Even if I had a favorite, I'm sure I would butcher it in the re-quoting!

Reading regret.
I guess my only reading regret would be my obsessive nature that won't allow me to quit a book once I've started. I hate the feeling at the end of a book that I've just wasted so much time. Time I could have been reading something good! If A Gentleman in Moscow wasn't for book club and so highly rated, I would have quit that several times!

Series you started and need to finish.
I'm in the middle of The Seven Sister series. I liked the first two books, but didn't love them. Since my book club keeps picking them, I've just finished book 3---The Shadow Sister--my favorite so far. Now, I have to read the rest---when they come out. I love Ken Follett too.

Three of your all-time favourite books.
That's really hard. There are so many books that I have loved. These three are by no means the only favorites I have. Wuthering Heights, My Sister's Keeper and The Nightingale.

Under what circumstances do you find it difficult to read?
I can't read easily in the pool. I'm always afraid that I'll doze off and drop my Kindle in the water.

Very excited for this release more than all the others.
I'm looking forward to whatever Jodi Picoult is doing next.

Worst bookish habit.
Sneaking off to read while on vacation.

Your latest book purchase.
Now that I'm using the library---and borrowing book club books from Stephanie, I haven't purchased a book in a year. However, since Stephanie is sharing with me, I'll buy half of the book club books.

Zzz-snatcher book (latest book that kept you up way late).
This is not a problem for me. I get sleepy when I read at night. That's why I use reading in bed to unwind.

1 comment:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this! Our book club is reading Gentleman in Moscow for April on my recommendation. It did bog down a little in the middle, but I thought the ending was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.