Saturday, September 17, 2016

That's How I Roll

So, you might be wondering how my first day of freedom went. Well, let me tell you. After getting the green light from my doctor to resume normal activity while at the same time "letting my body be my guide", here's how that went. Okay, "letting your body be your guide" sounds great in theory. I can do that--or so I thought. The problem---your body doesn't guide you until AFTER you've over-done it!!

Here's how Thursday went. I woke up at 4 a.m. and hit the ground running. I got on the treadmill---only 10 minutes--as I'm pacing myself and trying to ease back in to it. Still, I walked 10 minutes---slow--2 MPH, but still solid walking after having been completely sedentary for 7 weeks. After that, I did some stuff on my computer, spent about an hour putting the house back to "my" order, unloaded the dishwasher, bagged up the boots to put in the attic, ran a load of laundry and moved things back to my bedroom/bathroom from my lengthy stay in the family room. I made the bed, showered and got ready for the day. I was out the door by 8:15 for my nail appointment (yes--I needed that), ran through the bank and off to bridge. I sat at the bridge table all day.
Wouldn't you know it, we had a tournament with computerized hands. We have a new director who I had introduced myself to for the first time right before my fall. I don't know if he's planning to have the computerized hands every week or not. The cards bother me---they're just way to busy for my brain! And to top it off, I have no idea where we came in. I never wait around to find out because the director usually emails the results. Didn't get that this time. We have 12 tables, so there's really no way of knowing how we did. I'll find out next week.

When I got home, Nancy A. stopped by to pick up her computer (side note: I downloaded 125 fonts for her. Although I did it in one evening she didn't come for her computer for a week! I would seriously have to have been carted off to the loony bin! I can't live without my computer---sad, I know--but at least I'm honest). Anyway, after a brief visit, I had a little rest. Steph came over after work. She and I went to an open house that my friend, Mary's travel company was putting on. I probably stood there socializing for about a half hour before getting a seat.

I got home about 7 p.m., put on my jammies and parked in front of the tv. Around 9, I noticed that my hives were starting to act up---remember---they are pressure related. My feet were starting to become one giant hive---probably because I had shoes on for the first time in nearly 2 months and then put so much weight on them all day.  I had a big hive encompassing the palm and ring finger of my left hand--which started because I had worn my wedding ring all day for the first time in ages. Anyway, when I stood up, my legs actually were weak and quivery. THAT'S THE MOMENT I REALIZED I MAY HAVE OVER-DONE MY FIRST DAY. Too late now. I went to bed.

When I got up yesterday---Oh. My. Gosh!! I was so sore---you know like after you first go to the gym and work muscles that haven't seen the light of day in years? My calves very nearly knotted up. I never realized that my calves are involved in every activity you do including just plain walking.

So, yesterday, I really slowed down. No treadmill. I'll give that another day or two and start with 10 minutes again. Anyway, I went upstairs and worked re-organizing my office. Butch had asked me the day before if I'd seen the mess yet. While laid up, I kept saying, "just take this upstairs to my office or scrapbook room."
 There were piles everywhere--including a few more on the floor you cannot see.
I spent a couple hours sorting and filing. Okay, it shouldn't have taken that long, but my sister,  Jeanne called and we talked for about an hour of that time.  Still, it felt so good to be upstairs. I get "out-of-sorts" when I know things are a mess.

Next, I went in to my scrapbook room. When I last left it, I was in the middle of a couple projects--which now were buried with all the new stuff I ordered while laid up. That shopping on the internet is dangerous for me when I have the time. I did get a little Christmas shopping done too.
More piles everywhere. I'll have to post some photos when I have it all straightened up. This is the room that makes me go "ahhhh" when I'm in there. It means that ALL of my work is done, everything is in order and now I can "play."
The lid to this box was just gone. It took me a while to find it. Turns out it was buried under a pile to the right---out of shot of this photo. I barely got started when it was time to head out.

I had a hair appointment (and boy, did I need that) so I took off about 11 stopping for this first:
It was about time! Christine, here, and her sister, Sophie take good care of me. I have a standing 8:30 on Thursdays before bridge with them. I never know who is going to be there. I love them both!

I got home around 4 after a brief visit to Connie's. I wanted to see her new furniture in person---it's really nice.
 Jack's not loving his new recliner, but I do. That creamy leather is to die for.
I didn't get Connie's permission to post these photos, so I hope that whoever has robbed them twice is not reading this!

Stephanie and Nicky came over after work. We went to the club for dinner. We had a nice time and, as usual, the food was great.

So, day 2 was a much better pace. Aside from my hives--which are nearly under control--it was a good day. Today, I'll get my scrapbook room in order, run to the grocery store and spend the afternoon in the pool Oh, and I plan to get my Halloween decorating started. That sounds like just about the right amount of activity.

We leave for a trip to Oklahoma next Friday and I was hoping to build up a little stamina by getting on the tread mill every day, for all the sight-seeing we plan to do. Butch has meticulously researched all of the places we'll be visiting---Central High School in Little Rock--first integration in the 1950's, Will Rogers house, a trip down part of Route 66 and many other stops. He has even made restaurant reservations at the "must go to" spots. I'll just have to do what I can do, but I don't want to miss a thing!

Warp speed---that's how I roll!


  1. A gentler start sounds like a good idea - you'll have lots of underused muscles and tendons which will squeal otherwise. Hoping you're feeling better now and enjoying a tidier space.

  2. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, that the hives stay away and that the muscles are well eased back into your usual pace before your trip

  3. ouch on the over doing - I wouldn't know anything about that of course... Hope your stamina has improved.


Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.