Saturday, September 24, 2016

OsteoStrong

I went with my friend, Mary Jo to check out OsteoStrong. 
Meet Diane. She is the owner. Turns out that I know her from years ago through some of the fund raising I was involved in.
First off, let me say that I fully understand that if something sounds like it's too good to be true, it usually is. But this company is showing some marvelous statistics. I don't believe you can stay in business by making false claims.

Here's the deal. You go once a week for 10 minutes. Going more frequently does NOT enhance your results. You can wear whatever you want. You won't sweat. This is not a workout and does not build muscle. You still have to do that on your own. It has nothing to do with your heart, so you are on your own for cardio too! You will not lose weight. There is some advantage for people that have Type 2 Diabetes, but I don't exactly remember what that is.

What it does do is build strong bones, healthy joints and improves your balance. The machines are some sort of fancy, computerized things. There are 4 of them. It's sort of like resistance training rather than lifting anything. You can't get hurt. The machines do not move. You are just exerting pressure yourself and holding for 5 seconds. The computer measures the weight you averaged for 5 seconds. I am not going to share my numbers here because even they sound too good to be true. Butch's reaction  tells me that I won't tell anytime soon---"Barb, there's NO WAY!"

It costs $105. a month. Here's my plan. I'm not going to rely on just their numbers. I'm going to get a bone density test in the next couple weeks. Then I'll have another one in either 6 months or a year and see if there's a noticeable improvement. (Side note: as far as I know, I do not have a bone density problem. According to my orthopedic surgeon, my bones are healthy and strong. In fact, I asked her about this program. Although she knew about it, she said she really doesn't know much and wants ME to report back to HER! Will do). What I do expect to have come out of this is improved balance. That is definitely a problem for me.

Here are some of their claims:
OsteoStrong is a complete fracture prevention strategy providing increased bone density, overall strength and improved balance at almost any age. Published research shows a 14% increase in bone density in only 6 months. This number equals the reversal of the age of your bones by 10 years--much better and all natural than the pharmaceutical options.

Balance is supposed to improve by 77% after just 5 sessions---that is an average for a 52 year old woman. It will take me longer. But even if it's 10 sessions, I'm good with it.

I know---too good to be true. I'm skeptical too. That's why I want to have something I can really measure rather than relying on what they tell me. Hence the bone density test. Also, if there is that improvement with the balance, I'll know that right away. Heck, I can't put my underwear on without hopping quickly at least 3 times, giving up and leaning against the wall!

What have I got to lose? Okay, 105 bucks for 6 months (or a year). You can check it out here.

I'll share results whether I have success or not.



3 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to see your results for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of this, Barbara, but we don't have it over here. I'll be following and very keen to hear how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have friends who go to Keiser gyms which also use resistance machines. They swear by them - hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.