Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Random Things


Outside my window: Spring has sprung! I'm so happy that I didn't miss my ornamental cherry tree this year!



 I am thinking: That I'm so happy that Mindy has a chance to work from home this week---for the first time in nearly a year of traveling every week. When she has a chance to stay in town, she becomes somewhat domestic! Here's what she made herself for dinner last night.
 Those brussel sprouts look delicious. I've asked her for her recipe! That's a switch!! Actually, this is just about the first meal she's made since coming back to Nashville in 2010 (remember, she didn't even know she owned a can opener for the first year---until Butch found it in her car)!

I am thankful for: My scrapbook room---even if it is a mess right now. I'm fortunate to have such a nice room to house all the "tools of the trade."

From the kitchen: I'm not planning to cook for the rest of the week. We're having some leftovers to clean out the refrigerator before our trip.

I am wearing: Pink denim jacket, white tee, brown pants---bracelet made out of old watches. 

I am hoping: to catch a little nap and some reading this afternoon.

I am reading: The Sunshine When She's Gone. I've just started it, so it's a bit too soon to tell if it's any good or not. I just finished Pearl. It was pretty good, but I think the ending was a little too predictable.

I am busy creating: Our day group has started a new project. We are decorating 2x4 blocks to spell out the word "create." We'll each take one to design for the group. Here's our first one designed by Linda and Lola. 
The bow on top looks like paper, but it's actually fabric. Notice the little paint brush. We wrapped it with washi tape. We stamped, inked roughed up edges and misted. A little bit of everything. I'll be sure to share the letters as we create them.

I'm bummed: About Matthew. That's all I'm going to say.

I am hearing: The show "Smash" that I have taped. I'm watching/listening to it as I write this post. I'm shocked at Liza Minelli's appearance. She's had a lot of cosmetic surgery. I'd say it is bad cosmetic surgery, but she might actually look better---just nothing at all like herself. You can see her performance  
here. Sorry you have to watch the annoying commercial.

Around the house and garden: I haven't been home long enough for much of anything around the house and garden. I do want to get outside and see what's happening in the garden. At least before I leave again.

In other news:  I need to go shopping today. I'm out of make-up base. Plus I'd like to pick up a few new things for our trip. But I hate to shop. 

One of my favorite things right now: is playing these silly games with friends on my phone. It's not like I really have the time for it. But I can do the games while I'm watching tv. That's good. I always like to multi-task. Plus, it's a simple thing to do while waiting in line---anywhere.

I appreciate - a really good hand/body lotion. Currently l'm using Seacret---minerals from the dead sea. It's simply the best. No greasy feel. It makes my skin so soft. And smells good.

I remember - all the good food my grandmother Zimmermann use to cook. My Aunt Marlene called me yesterday to tell me how much she appreciated the "gooey butter cake" recipe that I gave her in the 1970's. It's a classic. I'm happy to share:

Gooey Butter Cake
1 yellow cake mix
1 egg
1 stick of margarine, softened
Press in a 9x13 pan.

Combine:
8 oz. cream cheese
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 box powdered sugar (2 cups)
Pour on top of crust.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

I forget - where I put my little trash "thingie" that hangs on the side of my chair. We had a big meeting here last week. We moved the furniture to put up chairs. I do not remember where I put it. I hope it turns up. It's the sort of thing that you don't realize you use all the time until it's not there. I can't tell you how many times I've reached over to toss a little piece of thread from my stitching to realize that it's not there. 

I regret -that once again, I won't get everything done this week that I planned to. I know that I set unrealistic goals for myself. When I'm going on vacation, I like to do something pretty major---in the way of cleaning---before leaving. That way, the trip seems like a reward. This week, I had planned to get my scrapbook room in order. I tore in to it on Monday and now have a huge mess. I don't think I'll get it all done before I leave. I hate to leave a mess. I still have tomorrow. We'll see.

How the weekend is shaping up: We leave on Friday and arrive in Venice on Saturday. I'm so excited to be able to go back there. But, according to the weather, it looks like it might rain. I hope not. We only have a day and a half before boarding our cruise. Bruce and Karolyn have never been to Venice---I just want them to love it as much as we do. 

Next post---from the road!!

3 comments:

  1. Your cherry tree is pretty! I love cherry trees of all sorts, they are beautiful when they bloom. Have a great time on your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cherry tree reminds me of childhood..where I lived had a row right down the length of the street and I always thought they were so pretty.

    Have a great time on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a lovely avenue of pink cherry trees in our town. They are not in flower yet, perhaps in a week or two. I would love to see your bracelet made of watches? and I have a fabulous body scrub from the dead sea! the perfume is fabulous. Have a lovely time away.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.