Saturday, September 16, 2023

Something for Saturday

Well, I've been too busy to post for most of this week. We've been burning the candle at both ends--very late nights. I couldn't keep up with the blogging--barely kept up with emails!

Anyway, we are leaving today, but not until 11 a.m. so I thought I'd tell you about a couple cool experiences we had--just like in the movies.

When we were shopping at Selfridges in the fancy shoe department, the clerk or manager asked if we wanted water. I said, “Wait, I thought we were supposed to get champagne!” He laughed, and the girls continued trying on shoes. I bought shoes too, but not from this department. The next thing I knew, the guy came walking in with a tray from outside the store with champagne! I think he knew he had some fish on the line. Stephanie, Beth Ann, and Kim all bought shoes. BA bought two pairs. Karolyn and Pam were not with us then.
The "guy" took our picture, but he was supposed to be getting the shoes!! 

For our last night, we had reservations at The Shard--a towering glass structure with windows all around. Dinner was underwhelming—over-priced for teeny portions and so loud that we could not have a conversation together. Definitely not going back. The only good thing was the spectacular views—including a beautiful sunset, but there are lots of those opportunities here. 

On the way out, we were waiting for someone to take our picture in front of the sign. After a minute or so, the GM, David stepped up and took it. We started talking to him and the next thing we knew, he whisked us off to a private room and had us served with champagne. The room was obviously for higher-end parties—lots of flowers and another stunning view. After talking to us for about 15 minutes there and taking more pictures (he made a worker come in to take them), he started touring us around and introducing us as his American friends, to his “colleagues” (they are not his staff or employees). 

Next, he took us to one of the other restaurants and took our picture in front of a wall of Chinese lanterns. He took us over to the bar and ordered us another glass of champagne. There were two girls sitting at a window table so he got them to come over to meet us. One of them is moving to Texas next week. There was a guy sitting by himself who David had come over too. Basically, that guy (Colin) was waiting for some other people but, he was very nice so we chatted for a few minutes. When he returned to his table, David (who was very tall), leaned over, squeezed my arm, and said, “I LOVE him!”  After a few more minutes, Colin had about 3 girls show up at his table. He was very cute.

Stephanie said that the reason all this happened was because David said he watched 4 people go by us without offering to take our picture! I guess he wanted to make sure we ended up with a good experience. We certainly did! 

I enjoy being treated "fancylike"! 

And here, I thought stuff like this only happened in the movies!

Next stop HOME!!



1 comment:

  1. I wish I knew your secret in getting free fizz and special treatment! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.