Friday, September 8, 2023

Nottingham--Day 6

First thing this morning we had a driver pick us up and take us to Nottingham (or if you prefer the old name: Nottinghamshire). It was about a 2 hour and 45 minute drive. Somehow, it passed quickly and didn't seem long at all. I think it's because of my continued excitement to be in England.

We love to stay at small boutique hotels. There is always so much history behind them. This is the Lace Market Hotel--formerly a doctor's home built in the Lace Market district around 1800. The lace market was the center of lace-making for the British Empire. This cute hotel has 51 rooms. 

We set off for another day of exploring.
We had to get a picture with Robin Hood at Nottingham castle.

Butch had already pre-determined that this would be our lunch spot--Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem.
It is the oldest pub in all of England. Richard the Lion-hearted stopped here to recruit men to join him in the crusades on his way to Jerusalem.  Hence, the word "trip" is not as we think, but rather a "stop" as in being "tripped up!" See how much I learned from all this traveling? Side note: Butch, Stephanie, and Nicky hiked to the remains of Richard's castle in France a couple years ago. It was too steep for me! Another thing I learned is how all history is interconnected. See how smart I'm getting? 

In my new smartness, I forgot to mention that Nottinghamshire is called the city of caves. The city is on top of over 500 of them! We had our lunch in one.

After lunch we did a little geo-caching and walked around the town before our cave tour. WE came across a crew filming an episode from a series called "Sherwood." Sounded like it might be up my alley, but I looked and we can't get it--unless I want to buy it. 

We ended up stopping at the Pitcher and Piano---an old church turned into a bar! This is right across the street from our hotel. Happy hour starts early here, so we had 2 for 1 Pina coladas--really good! 

The cave tour was just behind the church. 
This tour was one of the most interesting and unusual things I've ever done. Plus, we were doing the self-guided tour and had the whole place to ourselves! This tour reinforced my recent new knowledge of the concept of cities building on top of each other. Down in the caves, you could clearly see the levels of different societies starting from the cave dwellers, next Georgian society, Victorian, and now concrete as it supports the shopping centers and all of Nottingham above. You have to see it to really understand it. Just fascinating and so amazing! Okay, enough of that.

Next up was the Justice Museum. It was located next to the Pitcher and Piano and directly across the street from our hotel. I immediately started whining that it sounded all "government-ie" and I was really not interested in that. Heck, I'm barely interested in our own government stuff. Since we had paid for the tickets as part of the cave tour, Butch wanted me to give it a try. He always "gets" me with his, "It was highly rated on Trip Advisor!" Yeah, that did it. The man does his research and it never disappoints. 

As soon as we stepped inside, I knew I was going to like it. It was all about criminals (duh) and the legal system---but all the way back to the 1700s. So fascinating! I barely got through two rooms. The first was all about crime-solving back then and the beginning of forensics--very interesting. The second was a display of art created by convicts out of literally nothing but bits of trash, threads taken from socks, bits of paper, and bread. The bread sculptures were so unbelievable! They even used it to make chess pieces.

Another thing we've noticed about England in general is that you can get up close and personal with everything--no ropes holding you back from the exhibits. They ask you not to touch, so it's just an honor thing. I never have touched anything---even when I was so tempted--like this bread. I'm sure it would feel hard like those 80's style bread dough ornaments. At least I think so.

Anyway, there was a courtroom re-enactment getting ready to start, so I had to stop after those two rooms. Butch and I went to the Victorian courtroom. We were the only two people there besides one woman who was obviously the curator. She turned to us and said, "Well, I guess you'll have to play all the parts!" That's when I noticed that the "thing" was 30 minutes long. Butch immediately said, "I'm outta' here!" I'm like, "We just can't leave!" So, he left me!!

Another couple came in so the gal acknowledged them with, "Perfect, we have 4 people exactly the number of parts we need." I had to tell her that since we were running out of time (it's was about 3:30 by then and the museum closed at 5) that Butch had gone on to see the rest of the museum.
I got the part of the drunken constable, Dobbs (that's me up there on the right). I played it pretty well, swaying, burping and slurring my testimony!" It was hokey, but still fun. I'm always excited about everything, so this was no different. I wish it had been a little shorter. But, since I'm going to be here for 3 more days, I'm going back to the museum and finish it up. The actual jail cell that Oscar Wilde was held in is downstairs. And to think I didn't want to do it at all! See, you just never know when something is going to be a hidden gem--at least in my mind.

We had a very brief rest and then happy hour on the side of the street at our hotel. We're not crazy about all the smokers, but at least it's a bit more tolerable outside.

Diane and Gren picked us up for dinner at Mr. Mann's---Cantonese cuisine. I loved it the first time I ever had it 5 years ago. I wanted Butch to experience it. At home, I tried to find one, but all that pops up is Chinese. Cantonese seems quite a bit different to me. 
Before dinner, we walked around Wollaton Hall--a beautiful park area next to the restaurant. We had a great dinner---so much food! Butch finally used the "B" word for the first time. I have forbidden him to use it as when he does, it makes everyone around him feel like we should all quit eating since he's so "bloated!" Even the girls joke about it. He's say things like, "Oh, I couldn't possibly eat dinner today, we had that big meal 3 days ago!!" Like I've said, the guy doesn't care much about food! 

Miles logged today: 4.5

Unusual and interesting things:
Who knew this was a chain! 
Apparently, the name doesn't put anybody off! I just might have to go to "Slug & Lettuce" at least once! I just don't think it would take off in the U.S. Actually it probably would--assuming they have really good salads. I'm banking on that if I go.

When I saw this store, I felt like I needed to buy something here just because of the cute name.
"Sweaty Betty!" I didn't even go in because I do not need anymore work-out clothes. 

They had this sign in the window. What a good idea. 

With all the online shopping these days, stores are having a hard time keeping up. This really only works if you happen to be shopping around and go in to order from the website. 


I've seen this store around London and at the airport. I looked in the window to see what kinds of candy they are selling. It never occurred to me that they wouldn't be able to get all the regular kids candy here: skittles, sour patch kids, nerds, etc. Basically, all the candy I don't like!

Also, what is Wheatbix? I'm seeing that all over too.

Oh, and another thing. Earlier this week, when we were on Carnaby street, we saw a huge, long line outside of Sotheby's. Butch finally read about it--they were auctioning off some of Freddie Mercury's personal effects! 

So, another day in the books. Butch assures me that I get a quiet day tomorrow--at least until we meet up with Gren for his walking tour. 

I can't believe it's almost over for Butch. He leaves tomorrow morning and Steph and our book club gals arrive tomorrow night! Butch said he doesn't know how I'm going to do it for another week--he's worn out. We shall see. One thing I know for sure, I won't be wasting time in the tube! Ubers just aren't that expensive!

I better go, I need to "spend a penny." That's British for "use the bathroom!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.