Monday, September 4, 2023

London is my FAVORITE place in the world!

I might have mentioned that before. This is my 5th trip here and we're still seeing new things. There's so much! We have done most of the major touristy things, so now it's on to a lot of the smaller, little know things. We love that! Last trip we went to where "the hanging tree" was located, saw the place where ping pong was invented, went by the prostitute's cemetery, went to Mass at the oldest Catholic Church, visited one of the oldest pubs very near the church (no surprise) and many other things I cannot even remember. It's been 4 years!

We've been here a day and a half and already have done so much. 

Saturday:
1. The Leonardo Royale at St. Paul's--our favorite hotel for the location. 
View from our room. Butch upgraded us to an executive suite! I might have this picture enlarged and framed for our house.
2. We immediately walked through the Borough Market with every intention of eating there. But, it was so crowded, that we decided not to. I want to be able to sit down when I eat and there wasn't an empty seat in sight.
3. Had lunch at an Italian place called Vapiano where I got the cacio e pepe--pasta with cheese and pepper. I had that in Italy on our recent family vacay and loved it. Oh, and I made myself iced tea. I've decided this time in England, that rather than ask for iced tea, I'll just make my own. I requested earl grey tea and a big glass of ice. The tea was so delicious, that I plan to buy some. It's by teapigs. My friend, Diane said I can buy it anywhere. I'll be getting some! 
4. Toured the Tower Bridge--unbelievably amazing!--
and walked back to the hotel in time for happy hour. 
5. Hoop and Grapes for dinner--one of the oldest pubs in London. Butch got their meat pie--a gold award winner for them. 
6. Picked up some hot chocolate from the executive lounge to have with our Bailey's from the plane.
Total miles walked today: 6.
Unusual things that need interpretation--Deb?:
"faff?" I like the sound of that word, but have no idea what it is. Sure, I can look it up, but it's way more fun to let my British friends tell me!!

Diane already explained what "He was in his cups!" means. It was referring to a guy in a pub who was running his mouth. I couldn't quite get that from the context of the book I was reading--The Flatshare--such fun--I rate it an 8.

What does "pass the time having a frank and pat with one of the best taxi driver..." I don't know if it has to do with food or a conversation.


Sunday:
1. Although it's our intention to walk everywhere, sometimes, it's just not possible. We started our day with an Uber ride to The Churchill Arms Pub.
We did not have a drink as it was 8:30 a.m. This was a photo op for us. It's so beautiful, covered in flowers. 
2. We walked to Kensington Palace to see the Princess Diana statue. We were an hour too early. You couldn't get into the grounds until 10. Next visit.
3. Walked the length of Kensington Park which I think turned in to Hyde Park--a long, but beautiful walk ending up at The Marble Arch--it was covered in plastic as it is under construction. Next visit. Just dawned on me, we forgot about the Wellington Arch. That was on our list for today too. Next time.
3. Stopped by the Raul Wallenburg sculpture--he was instrumental in saving so many jews and especially getting children out during WWII.
4. Stopped by Benedict Arnold's house.
5. Visited the most haunted house in London.
6. Sought out the Roosevelt and Churchill sculpture.
7. Stopped by the homes of Handel and Hendrix. Butch had planned for us to tour their homes, but I didn't really want to. I'm not a big Hendrix fan. Plus, we've seen so many houses---I really want to love the people whose house I'm seeing.
8. Walked along Carnaby Street.
9. Had fish and chips at the Ganton Arms, made my iced tea and had the BEST sticky toffee pudding I've ever had! It was served with salted caramel ice cream.
10. Headed to White Chapel to visit the Jack the Ripper Museum.
11. Took a Jack the Ripper tour--so interesting. 
12. We fully intended to walk back, but I needed to sit down for a spell. Instead, we hopped in an Uber and got back really quick! Another happy hour was all we needed for dinner. 
Total miles walked today: 8.

Unusual things:
You can barely see it, but it's a huge black bird with a white breast. I looked it up and think it's a magpie. I'll have to ask Diane--or Deb, you could weigh in here

Saw some cute little girls taking riding lessons! Seems like such a British thing to do.

This darling, gingerbread cottage was inside Kensington Park (or maybe it was Hyde Park). It looked like it was a private home, but I'm not sure. 

This is where we DIDN'T have lunch. Although in hindsight, it would have been fun to say we did!
While on the Ripper tour, we came across a length of one of the original walls surrounding London--nearly 2000 years old!! This is one of my most favorite things in London. You'll just be walking around and all of a sudden, you come across something like this!

Everything is CUTE in London:
I saw one of these on Saturday. I thought it was some sort of ash box. It is salt! I'm not sure who is responsible for filling it or shoveling it for that matter, but how cute is it

Butch is posing beside and old rolls Royce turned ice cream truck. How cute is that--the Brits don't waste anything!

Even though this is kind of gross, it is at the same time, cute. It's a dog "poo" collector!

Until tomorrow....







1 comment:

  1. Isn't it funny the things we take for granted that people outside England find strange! Dog poo bins are an essential thing in any park so now I'm intrigued as to where dog owners put their 'poo bags' when they are out walking!
    If something is a 'bit of a faff' is something that takes a lot of effort when you think it could be done easier.
    The salt boxes are usually provided by the council and they provide salt for the public to put on the road in icy weather in places where the local authority gritter lorries may not have reached.
    That definitely looks like a magpie and we have a superstition here that you are supposed to salute a magpie if you see one on its own and say 'good morning Mr Magpie' One magpie on its own is supposed to be bad luck.
    It sounds like you are thoroughly making the most of your time in London - have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.