Saturday, October 23, 2021

Scrapbook Saturday

Taming the chaos!

For my scrapbooking friends, I thought I would share a few of my organizational ideas. 

When we go on a trip, we end up taking way too many pictures. Way more than I can or want to scrapbook. Since we are traveling so much, I decided that from now on, I will only do one, double page spread per trip. That means I really have to pare down the photos and the scads of memorabilia that I collect. 

1. While traveling, I try to edit my photos every day just to keep on top of it.
2. Once we get home, I go through all of the brochures and pamphlets and pull out anything I might use and recycle the rest. The object of this is to reduce the bulk. 
3. I put all of the brochures in a big manilla envelope along with any trip notes I made while traveling.
4. I choose all the pictures I want to print--more than I'll actually use--I want to make sure I have plenty of choices. I have the photos printed right away and add them to the envelope. That envelope might sit for a very long time--possibly years!
5. Once I'm ready to tackle the page, I dump everything out:
And, of course, I must have my tea. Then I'm ready to get started.
See those little slips of paper around the edge of the table?
6. That's how I start. I have a scrap for each day with a list of the activities and sights from that day.
7. Then I just start putting each item in the pile for the day that activity or picture happened.







This was our 7 day South Dakota trip with friends. 
As you can see, I have way more stuff than I could possibly use!

8. Once that's done, I gather each day and take another regular size piece of paper, fold it in half and tuck each day's worth of stuff in to it. I put it all back in the envelope until I'm ready to start scrapbooking. 

On this particular trip, my friends, Karolyn and Pam (who were on the trip) and I decided that we would do this page together with each of us doing a section. For this particular trip, we are making a fold out that will then technically be 6 pages while only appearing to be a single double page spread in the album. I do that sort of thing all the time with interactive pages--fold outs, flip ups, photo cascades, pockets, envelopes and folders--whatever I need to fit it all in.

Karolyn requested the title pages. Then Pam will have the first two pages for days 1-3. I'm doing days 4-7. 

I've already done mine:
I prefer to make a timeline for the trip. I use numbers (I have tons in my stash) along with a date label. I try to contain each day in just that section. So on this layout, each page is divided in half. Rather than add any patterned paper, I use the brochures and maps. I also cut titles from the brochures too. I add all the journaling--somewhere. Sometimes it's hidden like here:
I like using Kraft cardstock--especially for travel photos. It's a good neutral that works with any colors.

Next week, Pam, Nancy, Jeanne, Janet and I are meeting at Kentucky Lake for a long scrapbook weekend. I'm planning on scrapbooking only trips---I probably have 9 or 10 of them to do. The beauty of focusing on one thing like that is I can just bring my 12x12 plastic bin with all of my travel related things in it--stamps, papers, journal cards and embellishments. Makes it easy. 

The last time we went, I did only Christmas. By doing that, I can get "caught up" on a whole category! 

I'm really looking forward to it! Other than my once a month AYM layout, I get most of my scrapbooking done on these retreats. 


1 comment:

  1. So organised! But what a great way to have everything to hand when you decide it's time to stick photos to pages. It's always good to get photos printed off sooner rather than later because it is always such a faff to have to go through dozens/hundreds to find the ones you want!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.