Thursday, October 28, 2021

PSA

So today, I thought I would do a Public Service Announcement---or, post!

Last week I reported about how I got scammed with Kate Spade purses. Well, this time, I'm going to talk about those pesky emails we all get. They seem like they could be legit. But the key to not getting scammed is to NOT click on anything. 

I cannot tell you how many times I get emails that look like they are from my account through the Apple Store. Usually they are for really expensive apps--hundreds of dollars. Or one time, it was for a new computer--over a thousand dollars. What I do in that case is go directly to my Apple account and check my recent purchases. They are all there. Not the scams--which tells me that they just want me to click on something.

Here are a few others:

This one looks like it's from PayPal. This one wasn't for that much money, but still, I didn't click on anything or call that number at the bottom! I went to the PayPal website, logged in and checked my account. There was nothing there that I hadn't authorized. So, I'm good and just sent that email to junk.


Then there are these types. Trust me, there is nobody anywhere trying to give you money! You do not have any lost relatives that have died with millions of dollars that they've left to you. Seriously, don't you think you would know a relative with a lot of money? They just wouldn't suddenly show up after they die trying to leave you their money. 

The thing about these types of scams--is that they must work. Otherwise they would quit doing it. Maybe people are just curious and click on something. Then it's too late. 

Just be careful and don't respond or click on anything you are not familiar with. We "old" people need to be extra careful! They say we are easy targets. Well, considering my scam last week, maybe that's true. But I happen to know a few young people that have fallen for a few things too. 

Just be careful out there on the World Wide Web!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.