Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Travel Tuesday

Wow! It's been a crazy two weeks! 

My sister, Janice, had a pretty serious surgery. It didn't go as smoothly as we would have liked, but after 8 days in the hospital, she was able to come home---in St. Louis. She was cleared to go to her home the next day to Salem, MO where she has a cabin on her twin--Jennifer's farm. I spent a few days getting her settled. Jennifer was with us most of the time when she finished her "farm" chores. 

I organized Janice's entire place including all of the cabinets. She had just moved in late May. Now lest you think I'm that amazing, let me set the record straight--it's a small place--just 16x40. Still, it kept me busy. 

Add to that, the 5--yes, count them--five DOGS!
Now, most likely I'll get the names wrong here--starting from the left (dogs): Jack, Wilbur, Zelda, Lola and Mugsy. The last two are Janice's dogs. They are all great friends. They roam around the farm in a pack--if Janice will allow hers to go! Her white dog, Lola loves to swim in the pond and come home all filthy! That's why Janice had a dog bath installed in her cabin! In the background is Parvez, Jennifer and Sami.

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not particularly fond of dogs. You know, the hair, the slobber, the smell--all of it. But after taking my turn watching Lola and Mugsy for two weeks, they somewhat won me over. They are really good dogs. It got to where they came to me to be let out and for food--even after Janice came home. When we first got to the farm, Janice and I were sitting outside. When Jennifer's dogs came over, Lola and Mugsy got on either side of me and growled viciously at them! I screamed, because I thought I found myself in the middle of a dogfight!! Turns out, they were just protecting me! There's something charming about that. Now don't get me wrong. I didn't come away wanting a dog---they are just too much darn work!! But I do get how people love them. I have to admit, I wonder if they'll remember me the next time I see them--probably September. 

Anyway, on to the cabin.




There's plenty of space for one person (and two dogs).

Along with organizing everything, I "Old Englished" her table top.
It's an antique and the wood is oak.
Old English is amazing! It just evens everything out and restores some of the beauty.
The farm is beautiful. This is the view from Janice's front porch. 

While I was talking to Butch one evening, I got to see the prettiest sunset. By the time I got off the phone, this is all that was left of it. You can still see a strip of pink against the blue sky.
There are wildflowers everywhere. The very first thing I did was go out and collect a bouquet. There are Black-eyed Susans, two types of Queen Anne's lace, ox-eye daisies, wild shrub roses, and two other pretties I couldn't identify.

On Saturday morning, I did a few more things to help Janice before I left. All was good. I was sad to be leaving as I felt she needed more help, physically. Still, I was excited to be heading home. The plan was to go to St. Louis and attend the closing of our high school--Rosary--after 55 years. Jeanne, Matt and I were going together. I was planning to head home the next day. 

That evening, when we got home, everything changed. I got the call from Jennifer that the small hospital in Salem was taking Janice by ambulance 3 hours back to St. Louis. I planned to meet her there at 11:30 pm. As it turns out, due to Covid, Barnes-Jewish Hospital would not allow anyone to come in after visiting hours--no exceptions--even in an emergency. 

It was a scary situation, but by Sunday morning, we found out that it all was a false alarm. Janice was perfectly fine! That small hospital just didn't know how to deal with her situation--at least that's what we think.

Anyway, Jennifer and I went to the hospital. Janice was able to come down to the cafeteria--only one person is allowed to visit in the room. I said, "well, this is a hell of a way to get me to buy breakfast!!" I was just happy that she was okay.

When breakfast was over, we had a tearful good-bye. I got on the road. Little did I know that the five hours I had ahead of me would turn in to seven!! The first hour hold-up was due to an accident. The second hour hold-up was due to road work--dead stop each time. 

Due to the "emergency" the night before, Butch wasn't expecting me. I wanted to surprise him. I did. He heard the garage door, so came out. He said, "Oh, this is a surprise"--but not in an excited kind of way. H
e's not a very excitable kind of guy. When the girls were growing up, they would say, "moooom, dad's not excited!" Yes he is, he just hides it well!

On the other hand, he surprised me with this:

A beautiful bouquet of flowers! And this:
Now the guy doesn't really know much about trees or flowers. He said he found this perfect heart leaf while out walking and thought of me. He was disappointed that in a day, it dried and curled. I told him it was a redbud leaf and it was the thought that counts! Honestly, I thought it was so sweet. I'm keeping this leaf for my scrapbook.

He's never really been a romantic type of guy, which makes this so special. As we get older, he does more and more romantic things without even thinking about it. When we were younger, I always wished he'd be more romantic. But, I have to admit--it's seems way more special now!!

Okay, that's enough! I've rambled way too long!

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a couple of weeks you've had. I'm so pleased that the rush to hospital was a false alarm and hope that your sister is now recovering well. Thank goodness you were able to go and help.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.