Monday, June 21, 2021

Me on Monday

Hey All,
I'm here sitting with my sister in the hospital and thought I'd get a quick post done. Okay, none of them are very quick. There's the thinking of what to blog about. Then there's the pictures that need to go with it and then the actual writing of the post. I'm going to make this one quick.

On February first, I started on a health journey. I know, that's sort of the "buzz phrase"--health journey. But for me it has been really true. I started a program that encompasses spiritual health, mental health, physical health and financial health. Basically a revamp of my entire life. To say I was skeptical is an understatement. Sounds all "new wavy" to me. But, I made a commitment and here I am. Four months later and there has been a significant change.

I've been marginally successful with the spiritual health. I could still stand some work there. I never had any mental health issues--at least as far as I know. And I also didn't have any financial health issues either. That leaves physical health. Now that's where I've really been successful. See for yourself:
Here I am at the very beginning. Actually, it's pretty embarrassing. Pictures always tell me the truth. I've said that when I was way younger---all the way back to my teen years, I ALWAYS saw fat when I looked in the mirror. I went to Weight Watchers for the first time when I was 30 and weighed 118 lbs! Honestly, I can't even believe that now. They wanted to know what I was doing there. I told them I had 10 pounds to lose, so they let me stay. I lost that 10 pounds, but I haven't seen even 118 pounds in decades!! 

What's funny to me is that somewhere along the line, that view in the mirror changed to not seeing reality in the opposite direction. It's pictures that gave me a true view of myself. 

Now I'm not going to say what I started at, nor am I going to tell you where I am now. (A girl deserves some privacy! Okay, who am I kidding!  I'll tell anyone who asks!!)
Let's just say I've lost a significant amount of weight. I've got a ways to go, but not nearly as much as you might think--just two more months! I'm not looking to get to 118 ever again--that's crazy--and unrealistic. And maybe even unhealthy.

Someone very close to me said that I have a lot of willpower. That has absolutely nothing to do with it. For me, it's all about "mindful eating." I stop and think about everything I'm going to consume and ask myself if it will align with my health goals. Really, it's a mental thing and it's working. Hey, I can't believe I just said that. So maybe I did gain something on the mental side of this program! Talk about self realization...

Aside from the obvious weight loss, I have had quite a few other--what are called in the program--"non-scale victories." I've had a lot of those. Here's one:
I'm able to wear the ring that my dad gave me for my eighth grade graduation in 1967. I probably haven't been able to do that in at least 40 years. 
Recently I also put on my high school graduation ring. I've been wearing it for a couple months to remind myself of how great my high school years were. My high school is closing for good and wanted to mindfully honor good, old Rosary High!

I've had many, many other "non-scale victories." Here are a few more:


I don’t think about food all the time. I didn’t even realize I did until I didn’t!

Going down stairs feels more stable.

Easier walking uphill in the neighborhood—I don’t have to stop and rest anymore on the slow incline.

Easier getting out of the tub (this is huge).

I was able to kneel longer in church--even with my bad knee.

My robe cinches better.

The bath towel wraps all the way around me now.

Easier to walk in sand.

Shoes that used to hurt, don’t.

I weighed 2 lbs. lighter at the doctor’s office compared to home--that has never happened!


You might think I'd have some other health successes, but I've always been healthy. There's really nothing to improve there. Thank goodness!


So there you have the new me. My health coach/friend keeps asking me if I have more energy. I honestly tell her "no!" I've always been a high energy kind of gal. That hasn't changed! But, I must admit, I definitely have higher spirits! Holy smokes--maybe that's part of the spiritual health too!


Can you spell H*A*P*P*Y? 

I can! 


Turns out that wasn't so quick after all! Oh well.








1 comment:

  1. You've done so well! I think there are times when we are all guilty of 'grazing' even if we aren't hungry. It's just as easy to pick up and eat a strawberry as it is a biscuit! I think the non-scale victories are every bit as important as the numbers on the dial - well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.