Monday, July 22, 2019

It's Been Awhile

Well, I thought I might get a blog post in on our vacation since it was to be more of a laidback, relaxing trip. But, no, we were on the go constantly. Plus the biggest problem is that the place we had was really too small for 7 adults--even though it was supposed to be for 8.

I normally blog early in the morning. Unfortunately, when I woke up early, there was no place to go. Two people were sleeping in the living area on the sofa sleeper. That meant, I just stayed in bed and read or caught up on my games via my iPad. Anyway, we had a great time. There were 29 of us. We were at the Stillwaters Resort near Branson in the heart of the Ozarks. The layout of the place was perfect! We were all within walking distance of each other.  My favorite thing of the week was the day we rented the pontoon boat. Besides the first and last dinners, that's the only day all 29 of us were together at the same time. We found a nice cove and spent the day floating in the water. I burned a little on my back as I forgot to put sunscreen there. And my lips got sunburned. That had to be from reflected sun as I always wear a hat. I had used sunscreen, but I'm sure it wears off the lips pretty fast. Nothing blistered and I wasn't miserable, so that was good. But, I've never had my lips peel before.

My second favorite day was when I took ALL the"littles"---8 total (two were not so little and one was too little so got left behind) for 4 hours. We had so much fun. I just love kids! We played "Beanboozled"---a really gross game with Jelly Bellies. You spin to get a color you have to eat. For example, if you get lime green, it could be lime or grass clippings. A speckled green might be pear or buggers! The browns were the worst. They were either chocolate pudding or dog food!! OMGosh! It was so gross! Little Harper (age 3)---eyes were watering. I told her to spit it out, but she didn't. Plus, she kept trying to get another turn before it was her turn again. I guess, to her, it was worth the risk to get candy!!

Later that night, Mindy decided that we needed to play. There was only one brown left. I told Nicky that I was pretty sure it had to be chocolate since the kids had gotten all dog food earlier. I was wrong! Poor Nicky!! He had to go brush his teeth. I would have barfed! Oh wait, barf was the light yellow one!!

Anyway I thoroughly enjoyed the kids---I don't get to see them often enough. I want them to grow up thinking that Aunt Barb is "fun"!
Mission accomplished.

While we were away, the adult "grands" had a grand ol time here at our house. After 17 years of being empty nesters, we have a boarder! Our only grandson, Mitchell, has taken his first big boy job here in Nashville. He'll be living with us until he decides what he wants to do---either get an apartment, or relocate with the job. Until then, I'll be cooking again! I only promised him two home cooked meals a week. I'm not ready to jump back in to motherhood! Besides, he doesn't want or need that. At least if I decide I want him gone, I'll know what to do.

I'm doing a good job of not talking to him too much, or asking him too many questions. In fact, last night I made fried pork chops, fried potatoes, peas and applesauce for dinner. Butch and I don't usually eat bread or rolls with our meals. Don't get me wrong, I would just about rather have bread FOR my meal! Just trying to keep things under control as best I can. Anyway, so as not to disturb Mitchell, I texted him to see if he wanted rolls or garlic bread with his dinner. He did, so I don't think he was annoyed by that text. Boys are not chatty like the girls. I don't want to drive him off the first week. Maybe later, but not the first week!!

In the meantime, Morgan is glad to have him in town--as is the rest of the family. This will be a fun time for us. And, I'm pretty sure that will entice Sandy and the rest of her family to come more.

I sent her this picture this morning.
From first day of school pictures, to first day of work picture--he's come a long way--even thought the backpack is still the same! I'm so glad he humored me for this! I love this boy and am looking forward to having him around. At least for now!







2 comments:

  1. Wow, it must seem weird having someone else around the house - what a lovely opportunity to spend extra time with him before he heads off somewhere else.
    Sounds like you had a great holiday and I have no doubt that Aunt Barb is the most favourite and fun aunt going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be a joy to have him there, and good for you for controlling your mothering impulses. I would have a hard time with that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.