Monday, July 9, 2018

It's Been Awhile!

Nearly three weeks! I took my computer in for a diagnostic. The third time, I agreed to send it off for a new processor. It was going to be expensive. I had to decide between a nearly $600 repair or a new computer. Since the $600 would make it "new" again, I decided to go with that. Apple kept my computer. I was told 3-5 days. After a week, I called and was told that they were waiting for the part. What? It's the service center. Don't they have every part possible?

Well in to week two, I was sent an email. Did I want to continue to wait for the part---no time estimate---OR, would I rather take a refurbished computer for the same cost. What?? No! I don't want someone else's germy computer! I told them to just send it back without repair.

Now, let me say, my computer wasn't defunct---just not acting right---freezing and overheating. Still, it's usable. I decided to just keep it until it dies and then decide what to do. I'm glad I did.

The real question---do I really need my computer? I was going crazy at first. I rely on my computer. It keeps me organized and I conduct all my beach business on it. Right off, here were the things I missed without it:

*I couldn't send out beach rental contracts.
*I couldn't send out the condo information to renters.
*I had all the details of the "littles" visit---itinerary, grocery list, favorite colors, and photos of last year's Camp Aunt Barb.
*I couldn't pay my bills.
*I couldn't access my trip information.
*I couldn't manage my books. I had 4 books pour in on me.
*I couldn't download my books.
*I couldn't update my book list.
*I couldn't update my movie list.
*I couldn't see my large calendar view.
*I couldn't read the blogs I follow.
*I couldn't look at Facebook.
*I couldn't post to Facebook.
*I couldn't do Instagram.
*****I could not update my Blog!

That's a lot of "couldn't's!"

The girls didn't understand my panic and constant feeling of unease. Stephanie asked me why I just don't use my phone. They don't get it. I only use my phone for a phone---and maybe--a couple games!
Once Butch said, "imagine if you didn't have your phone! Now you know how your mom feels without her computer." Yeah, they got it then!!

Stephanie brought me her iPad the next day. I was just about able to do everything. But typing is a big deal to me, and doing it on an iPad is a pain. It's not typing, it's tapping one finger at a time and it takes forever! Which is why I don't particularly like texting! Stephanie said that this is ME! That's the truth!

So now with the iPad, I was somewhat back in business. I did discover that I liked playing games on that better than my tiny phone.

I found that I could get along without my computer except for one thing! Do I want to give up my blog? I don't think I'm ready for that. Sooo, I'll go lightly with my computer and use the iPad as much as possible to save the wear and tear. Hopefully I can eek out another year or so with this puter. At least I hope so.



1 comment:

  1. I love my computer, it's how I roll! I use my phone for a phone and texting device I use the tablet for books and games and my computer for writing, family history, doing the family newsletters, emails, blogging and all the things that require typing............ It's how I have evolved in this technological world. So now we know there are two of us! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.