Sunday, October 16, 2016

What Could Be Better...

...than meeting one of your favorite authors on a Saturday night? Okay, maybe having a good friend share the experience with you!

I went to Nancy's house early. We were Ubering for the very first time. It's something the "young" people do all the time. We've both Ubered before, but our daughters handled it. Nancy's daughter, Leigh, came over earlier in the day to "walk" Nancy through the process. She handled it like a pro! I was impressed. We Ubered 3 times---from her house to the Midtown Cafe where we had dinner. We Ubered from the restaurant to Rocketown where the event was held and then home again. Each time, it came up that an Uber was a minute away. Unbelievable! Way more fun and easier than the whole expensive parking situation downtown. Remember, now that Butch is retired, I no longer have those free parking perks!---And someone to make sure I get a good "spot" saved just for me! ;(--poor, poor, pitiful me!

Anyway, we had a great time and really enjoyed listening to Jodi Picoult (pronounced "pee KO"---we've heard her speak before, but I didn't remember that).
Part of the ticket fee entitled us to her latest book. This one is about the explosive, racial situation going on today. All of her books address some social, ethical dilemma. She has such a great way of thinking and putting the most unusual situations in to words. She makes you think and immerses you in to every side of an issue.
I have read everything she has written--well except this new one---22 books. They are all so good. You come away with a new appreciation for each situation. In fact, a few years ago, for our family book club, we read Nineteen Minutes about a school shooting. This book was so perfect for a family discussion as every one could relate to the characters. Jodi made you really sympathize with every character in the book.

I was resistant to reading Leaving Time because a good portion of the book was about elephants. I didn't think I would really be interested. It was fabulous! I learned so much about elephants---like---daughter elephants stay with their mothers their whole lives! I wish that were true in real life! It was a great story with a few unexpected twists.

I'd say my all time favorite Jodi Picoult book would have to be My Sisters Keeper.  I was finishing that book on the back patio. I sobbed so hard that Butch came around from the driveway to find out what was going on! The ending to that book is my favorite book ending of ALL the books I've ever read!

And then there's The Pact, House Rules, Plain Truth, The Storyteller, Change of Heart--so many to mention. Just get one and you'll want to read them all.

This is not a spoiler. The new book is about an African American nurse assigned to take care of the baby of a skinhead. When he finds out, he adamantly refuses to have anyone of her "kind" touching his child. The hospital complies with his wishes and the nurse files suit.

As with all of her books, you know there are going to be twists and turns. You cannot anticipate them. Just enjoy the read and be shocked when they hit you!

Thanks, Nancy for a really fun evening! Since there was only football going on at home, there's nothing better I'd rather have been doing!

5 comments:

  1. how exciting, I have read several of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great recommendations - I will keep an eye out. And oh, how lovely that would be having a daughter close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to meet your favourite author...or whomever we admire!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to get to meet her. I was reading an article about Uber - the drivers have to keep a really high rating 4.6 so anything below a 5 is considered a negative review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read any of her books, but this is the second time in just days that I have heard My Sisters Keeper mentioned, so I will check it out. I think meeting authors is great fun too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.