Thursday, February 13, 2014

Five Things Thursday

I'm going to miss print magazines---but I'm afraid they are on the way out. The magazines are getting smaller and smaller. Since my grandkids are not selling them for their schools anymore, I've let many of my subscriptions expire. On the other hand, I've gotten many ridiculously low offers to renew---Country Living for $8.00 instead of $45.00---which I have renewed. But, unfortunately, we don't have any scrapbook magazines left. There are a few special issues now and then, but that's about it. Oh, and there are some of those Northridge Publishing magazines---like Cricut and Paper Trends, but to me they aren't worth the money.

5 reasons I'm going to miss print magazines:
1. I'll miss the tactile experience of thumbing through and smelling them (and no, I don't usually sniff them, but you know what I'm talking about.)
2. Digital magazines are just not the same. They are hard to read.
3. With digital magazines, you can't tear out an article or picture.
4. You can't stop reading in the middle of a digital magazine---you have to remember what page you were on, or go back through the whole thing.
5. It would waste too much ink to print out a digital magazine.

It's not just the magazines, I think newspapers will soon be a thing of the past too. On the other hand, I thought libraries would be extinct within 10 years. I must be wrong about that because they've just recently built a new library here. We'll see.

In the meantime, enjoy this:
Paper is dead---or is it?

Scrapbookers, don't fret, I have enough paper for all of us!!

Where do you weigh in on this issue?


5 comments:

  1. I do like to hold something in my hand - you can zoom in easier on an ipad but you can't flick through with ease. I love print too :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely miss my scrapbooking magazines and digital is NOT a replacement in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved magazines - in fact I have a layout about loving magazines which I think will be published in the next paper copy of Scrap365! I always have a pile of paper at the side of the bed and any time I have travelled to the States I have always made my suitcase extremely heavy with a big pile of your magazines to come home with me. Long live paper...
    ..though as I also do some stuff for Jot, which is a digital magazine I have to say I'm learning to love digi too lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely missing print magazines. I still have a few subscriptions and pick up a copy of Scrap365 when I can find one at Barnes & Nobles, but I'm also learning to love the digi stuff because I can pull it up anytime anywhere & be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both - the comfort of snuggling up with a book or magazine is still more for me than a digital version. But I love having the ease of storing - and I do 'tear' out articles etc. I do screen shots and file those in Evernote where I can tag them and never worry about losing them :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.