Sunday, July 14, 2013

Sister's Weekend

Our weekend has been so much fun---yet gone by too soon.

We started off Thursday morning with pedicures. We spent the day floating in the pool. I barbecued some pork steaks and cooked fresh lima beans, zucchini and corn on the cob. For dessert, I made a:


Mandarin Orange Cake
1 yellow cake mix
1 small instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
2-11oz. mandarin oranges & juice to measure 1 cup liquid

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour bundt pan.

Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil and 1 cup of juice. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add oranges and beat 30 seconds longer. Pour in pan. Bake 38-43 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 20 minutes. Invert onto plate and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with Cool Whip.

After dinner, we watched a movie---Perfect Pitch.

Friday morning, we went out to Nancy's for a pool party. Her house is one of my favorites:

 And her garden is gorgeous.

 The garden shed is so cute too.
And of course, the pool. Karolyn made the pool drinks and Pam made the lunch. I can't believe I didn't take any pictures of the gang!!

After a fun afternoon, we went home to get ready for happy hour with the girls. We went to Mindy's so Jeanne and Janet could see her high-rise condo. Mindy had everything looking so spiffy. I couldn't resist taking a picture of her still organized closet. That is down right amazing!! She has all the hangers going in the same direction with like things still together. Good girl!!

 I thought her idea of storing nail polish in a big jar was the perfect accent for her bathroom.

After dinner, we came back here and played poker. I won 85 cents. We think Mindy was the big winner. 

On Saturday, we met my friends to go to Rippavilla Plantation to a vintage marketplace. We shopped. I think everybody found some goodies. Here are mine:
 I loved the delicate picture frame with the metallic bow. The clock goes in with my Christmas decorations. I also found the 1950's style butter dish. I do really like the retro stuff!! Then there is box of embossed postcards. I'll put them in a class kit to use for journaling. 
 The numbers and bird flash cards will turn up in a class kit sometime soon.
I thought the tag and business card attached with baker's twine and an old key was an added touch.
 I planned to make Jeanne jealous with my little pin. Do you know what it is?
 You would have no idea unless you were in the Camp Fire Girls. The first level is "bluebirds" and this is the pin. I was so happy to find it a few months ago. Of course, it's not exactly mine, but I used to have one just like it. I'm going to wear it around and see if anybody recognizes it. It could almost pass for the "twitter" bird.

For dinner, I made one of Sandy's recipes. She's a really good and adventuresome cook. Here lately, most of my best recipes have come from her.

Parmesan Chicken

2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. chopped onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp red pepper
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 tbsp. parmesan
3 tbsp. ketchup
1 lb. cooked shrimp

1. Melt butter and saute onion until tender. Add garlic, salt and peppers. Stir in cream, cheese and ketchup.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered until teh sauce thickens (15-20 min.).
3. Stir in shrimp. serve over 1/2 lb. angel hair.

And finally, I had to get a picture of this. Remember when I predicted on January 11 that the old tv would still be sitting here 6 months later? Well, it's been 7 months. Now I predict it will be a year. Maybe the plan of the removal to be my next birthday present!!

We ended our visit with a couple of movies:  DeLovely and The Call. Both completely different, but both excellent. We always have so much fun together. I'm so glad we have this tradition. We missed Janice, Jennifer, Sharon and Joyce this year. Until next year's sister's weekend....

I do hope y'all had a good weekend too!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good weekend. I like the parmesan shrimp - Princess is always willing to try a new seafood recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun filled weekend for you. Nancy's house looks wonderful!! and your vintage finds...lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a very busy weekend! It is lovely that you have a tradition like that. I wonder what it would be like to have sisters?????? The parmesan dish sounds yummy! And those birds are very cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.