Saturday, January 26, 2019

Stitching on Saturday

Before I begin this post, I wanted to take a second to tell you about something you might not know. There is a little search box at the top of this page on the left. It's there so you can find something quickly. So, if you want to see my posts about showtunes, or books, or stitching, or Friday Funnies, you can just put that in the search box and only those posts will pop up. Same goes for recipes. You can put the name of the recipe or even an ingredient in the recipe and they will pop up. This will save time so you don't have to wade through all of my family crap!! Just sayin'...

On to today's post. I spent hours and hours this week re-organizing my needlepoint fibers. I like doing  it, but when you don't continually keep up with it, it's not surprising how quickly it goes awry!!

I have organized my fibers in various ways over the course of 45 years. This is my favorite.
 I have them all sorted by color on separate rings. This works best for me.
 Some people prefer to organize by manufacturer. This way, if I need something blue, I can go straight to it without having to go through each manufacturer. There are hundreds---really, hundreds of different fibers here.
This is my next project. I've had the canvases for about two years now. I'm pretty good about starting and finishing one thing at a time. It stresses me out to have too many projects started and nothing completed.
I will be finishing the Easter Train like I did the Christmas trains---pillows.  I don't have the room for more sit around stuff.
 Anyway, I got the engine all ready to go. Now, to pull the fibers. OMGosh y'all!
Of the 54 items I need, I only had 8! EIGHT!!! How is that even possible with the hundreds that I own? Even Butch couldn't believe it!!

Off to Nashville Needleworks to get what I need.
OMGosh y'all! These were so cute!! I couldn't get a really good picture as they were high up. Still, you can see the detail. Although I was slightly distracted by these, I was singleminded in my purpose today.
I got everything I need for the Easter Train. When Butch saw these, he questioned whether I was really going to be able to live within my social security budget! All I've got to say is "it's a good thing I have to take a minimum distribution from my inherited IRA. Thanks mom!!"
 This cute little cross stitch and beaded piece is a needle holder.
 I made them about 20 years ago for all of my friends. I always have the right size needles for my projects. Of course---needles are cheap!

I'm anxious to get started since I've set a goal to the train completed by the time I have my May workshop. That's one car per month---totally doable.
 I just had to post the May project again. I admired it once more when I was in the shop yesterday.
It is so gorgeous--and big--it'll take awhile. And then I still have this coming up:
This one I'll be stitching with my sil---Chris. Looking forward to that too.

Now you see why I need to get a move on. So much stitching, so little time!!

If you are ever in the area, you need to stop by Nashville Needleworks. It is simply the best needlework shop I've ever been in!
I've mentioned before that all of my girls are stitchers too---even the grands. They don't stitch much---more like spurts here and there. But still. Mindy sent me this picture last weekend. She was up at 5 a.m. and stitching. Like mother like daughter---and I'm sure that's tea she's drinking! Fait accompli!

I handed Butch this picture and asked if he noticed anything. He didn't see it. Do you? A 30A cup in the background! Now we know what happened to our cup! Things disappear all the time. Mindy swears that this is hers. Yeah, right! (Actually it is---ours is in the cabinet---Butch looked!) 

Okay, my final word on stitching is: if you need a fun hobby (albeit---a little pricey), needlepoint is just the thing for many reasons:
1. It's a total stress reliever.
2. It gives you an excuse to watch movies.
3. AND---best of all---this is STUFF your kids will WANT!! Guaranteed!

This post was written at 4 a.m.. I love to get up early so I can stitch!!

1 comment:

  1. All those threads and you still didn't have all you needed - that's so funny! It's going to be a great Easter project.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.