Monday, August 28, 2017

Start Spreadin' the News...

...okay, so it really isn't news. Everyone knows I love New York! The girls and I went in April and had a great time. I was so excited to get to go again this past week with Butch.

We went to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum as soon as we arrived. We dropped our bags at the hotel and got on the subway.
 I took this picture outside of the memorial. Just being in New York is such an incredible experience.
We enjoyed the tour. They have fountains where the original towers stood. Butch said that he thought everyone should go and see this. But, we both agreed, the Oklahoma City Bombing Museum was the best!! You really felt like you were there experiencing the day. That and our private Gettysburg tour are the best tours we've ever had in the US. Considering I didn't even want to do the OK tour, that's saying a lot!

We also went to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
I didn't really care about the Statue of Liberty---I already knew the story. Still, we were there, so why not? Butch took a selfie while I parked it with my book.
We got back on the ferry to Ellis Island. I was really excited about this.  I was very interested to see where my ancestors came in to the US and experience what they did.
These are the steps that the immigrants had to climb when they entered Ellis Island. 
The old building is so beautiful.
This is the hospital and quarantine area. I was able to find my grandmother and her family when they arrived in 1911. She was a baby. I don't know the reason, but they were held here for nearly 2 weeks. The night before they were to leave, my great-great grandmother (my grandma's grandmother) died while rocking her. Most likely it was a heart attack. But can you imagine, my great grandmother has just arrived in a new country. She doesn't speak English, only Italian and has three young children---3, 2 and a 9 month old? Losing her mother at this time had to be the worst!

The only records I could find for my great grandfather was that he arrived in 1927. All I can think of is that he somehow came illegally ahead of the family. Later he returned to Italy and came back---then through Ellis Island. I'm going to ask my aunt if she knows anything about it. It's times like this that I wished I'd asked more questions of my mom and grandmother.

Another thing Butch does for me when we travel is go out of his way to get me a Starbucks tea. I love that! He doesn't even like Starbucks and never buys anything for himself. One afternoon, he even made a special trip out (unbeknownst to me) to find me some Equal for my tea as the maid had taken mine from the nightstand.

I guess it's only fair that he does that for me, because I do this for him! Ride the subway! I hate it! It's never as convenient as you think, it's hot and very smelly! But it is cheap. I'll admit that. Still, Butch is the only one I do the subway with. I do it for love! It makes him happy. The girls and I are happy to use the car services. Besides, when you multiply the subway fee by 4, it is probably about the same anyway!
 For once, the subway was fun since I got to experience these performers! I've always wanted to see something like this.
We got to see them not once, but twice! Same guys, but on different days and different lines. I wished they would perform longer, but they literally sing as they walk through and collect donations. I was tempted to say, "I'll give you 20 bucks if you sing two songs right here!" I didn't. That would defeat the purpose of taking the subway in the first place!
The day that Butch had a business meeting, I "Lyfted" it to the Conservatory Garden in Central Park (just because I don't like the subway and I can). What I really wanted to see were these gates that originally came from the entrance to the now torn down Vanderbilt  mansion. They are the only things remaining from the "gilded age." If you want to learn more about that, read the book: Fortune's Children: the Rise and Fall of the Vanderbilts. It's such an interesting book. It's unbelievable how the rich lived. You will really understand about this era in our history and the differences between the rich and poor.
 Through the gates, this was the view. I'm not going to waste too much time showing garden pictures---just a few.

I love gardens. Butch is always good about going with me, but I was glad to be alone this day. I spent three hours here. I would not have expected him to do that. I had a lot of fun talking to different gardeners and asking tons of questions. I try to limit my questions to two each. Luckily for me, there was a gardener around every turn. This garden has so many beautiful walkways and antique benches. The weather couldn't have been more perfect---not hot and NO humidity! I spent time just relaxing and contemplating life. Just kidding, I don't even know what that means. I don't think I've ever "contemplated" in my life!
After dinner at our new favorite place---Tony di Napoli's---we saw Beautiful, the story of Carole King. I had to give my ticket away when it was  in Nashville as I was out-of-town. It was sooo good! I'm glad I got to see it in NYC. Everything is better on stage there!
 I got this picture on our walk home from the play.

And then there was this:
I always say, I don't understand art. This was in our hotel. It looks like it's been defaced, right? Well, it was under glass, so I guess it's supposed to be this way. I don't get it. Maybe that's the problem. I don't know how to contemplate. If I did, maybe I could figure it out. Nah, I really don't want to waste the time trying to figure out those butterfly things in her hair either.

This was a first for us.
We've never seen anyone vacuuming a sidewalk! Really? Only in New York!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.