Tuesday, April 25, 2017

A Major Mishap

You might have noticed that I missed "Monday Memos, Mail and Me." Well, I have really good excuse---or actually, a really BAD excuse!

First of all, I didn't really get anything worth noting in the mail last week. But the biggest reason I didn't post yesterday was because I was cleaning out the friggin' freezer! SOMEONE---and I have to admit, I think it was me---left the door open. OMGosh! The stench of rotting meat!

The last thing I recall was putting the Honey Baked Ham bone in the freezer on Easter Sunday. I'm pretty sure that was the beginning of the end. We have been somewhat distracted with Stephanie and Nicky's new house. Butch left for the beach on Tuesday to spend time with Sandy, Greg and the girls.  I had a busy week---as usual. On Friday, I started to notice an "odor." The first thing I checked was the trash compactor. Sometimes people other than Butch and I forget that it's a TRASH COMPACTOR---not a GARBAGE DISPOSAL. Well, that wasn't it. I gave up and lit a candle.

On Saturday, I still noticed the odor. It seemed the same--not really worse. I went sniffing down the hallway thinking it was coming from the laundry room. No, not there. I checked out the "cleaning closet" where we store all the cleaning supplies thinking maybe Margarita left some wet rags or something. Nope, that wasn't it either. I couldn't really think of anything else.

Butch was due home Saturday night. Around 6 p.m., I was thinking that I would cook something on Sunday. I decided to get something out of the freezer to thaw. OH MY GOSH! The stench!! It was disgusting! Bloody meat water everywhere! I even wretched a few times. The tile lifted from the floor. I went in to overdrive. I wanted to get the mess cleaned up before Butch got home. I was so happy that he had that time at the beach to relax and unwind. He worked like a mad man for two weeks between our move back in to our closets and Steph and Nicky's move. I really wanted him to be able to relax. There was no way I wanted him to have to deal with this disgusting mess.

I filled 3 trash bags with all of the food from the freezer. They were almost too heavy to carry. The waste! The expense! It was all bad. I only salvaged Mindy's wedding cake and two packs of dinner rolls. I hauled the drippy bags out to the trash. Now this is a really bad confession on my part---and will prove how really spoiled I am. Both bins were empty. I didn't know which one was for trash and which one was for recycle. Butch handles everything recycle/trash related. Unfortunately, as soon as he got home, I had to ask him to dispose of the bags. We couldn't let them sit overnight, or animals would have gotten in to them.

Anyway, back to the clean up. I've always been grateful that we have a pool whenever it came time to defrost the freezer. All of those beach towels come in handy. I never realized I'd use them for this purpose too. I ended up using ALL of the beach towels to sop up the smelly mess. I ended up having to use bath towels too. I walked on the floor to get the fluid to goosh out--yes I made up that word. I think you get the picture.

Here we are 3 days later and the freezer still smells. We put trays of baking soda on the shelves. We've put dryer sheets on the shelves along with the baking soda. So far, no good. Any other ideas that might work?

This is almost as bad as the pantry moths---but not quite. I guess I should be thankful that it's this and not that again!

I'd say this is about the worst excuse for not posting yesterday wouldn't you?


  1. I think it's the BEST excuse! In that nobody could say you didn't have your hands full! I'm wincing at the thought of it. What an complete pain. All I can do from here is wish you a much better..rest of the week!

  2. I recommend a good scrub with a mixture of baking soda and white vinegar - for the freezer and the floor. And then put more baking soda on the freezer shelves and leave it open to air out. The baking soda will do the trick, but it may take several days. Getting mold smell out of old trunks sometimes takes a couple of weeks. I don't envy you at all!


Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.