Thursday, September 18, 2014

"Grandmother in Charge"

I'm in Charlotte, NC babysitting the grands while Sandy and Greg celebrate their 20th anniversary with a little trip to Myrtle Beach.

I'm back in "mommy-mode" and lovin' it. It's been a long time since I ran kids all around---but I have to admit, I'm having a lot of fun. I'm good at this---all the juggling. I thrive on it. I love the organization it all takes to work it all out. I just love it. From breakfast to dinner---on the go. I love to tease the kids, meet their friends, teachers, signing their papers: "Barbara---grandmother in charge"---embarrass them. It's all good!

Except----Sandy owes me BIG time. I sat through an hour and a half of a "senior parent's meeting" last night. Not "seniors" like me---but rather, "seniors" like Mitchell who will be graduating in the spring. I took copious notes:
I'm in the process of transcribing them now. I'm pretty sure I got it all. All I can say is "Wow!" There is a whole lot more to do these days in the application process than when my kids were at this point. 

Even though I won't ultimately be responsible for all of this, nothing will fall through the cracks on my watch!

Wednesday
Learn carpool line protocol---check.
Walk in and sign Elizabeth out---check.
Stop at Starbucks---check.
Meet Victoria's bus---check.
Go to mall for Apple store appointment---check.
Solve Lapps family computer problems---check.
Meet Mitchell for dinner---check.
Off to Charlotte Catholic for senior meeting---check.
Home to tuck girls in bed---check.

Thursday
Pancakes for breakfast---check.
Out the door by 6:30 a.m.---check.
Meet Victoria's bus---check.
Drop Elizabeth---check.
Transcribe notes---check.
Pick up girls---check.
Meet Mitchell---check.
Pick up Mitchell's car---check.
Order Chinese for dinner---check. (Come on, this is supposed to be vacation for me too!)

Friday
Just one more day in the life of a "grandmother in charge!"

4 comments:

  1. You could come and be our Grandmother in charge. Anytime. That would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading I was thinking how lovely it would be to have you here as grandma in charge! Then I see Sian's comment ....you will be in great demand !! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are having a great time - as are the grandkids :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.