Monday, September 26, 2011

I'm Pooped and...

we've got another week to go. I wish I'd have brought a pedometer. I'm certain I've put at least 50 miles on these short, chubby legs. My feet and legs throb. Today, we walked all the way back from Harrod's to our hotel. Probably not more than a couple miles, but it felt like forever. London is not a city that encourages sitting down. There are no benches anywhere. Even going through the park, they are few and far between. I managed to find a couple of concrete walls to take a break on. About 6 blocks from our hotel, we stopped and had lunch at an outdoor cafe---I love those things. I had a bowl of French onion soup (it's on every menu here). It was good, but not nearly as good as Germantown Cafe or Whitfields.

When we got back to the hotel, I told Butch that today was my part of the compromise about the taxis. He offered to get one right away when we left Harrod's, but I decided to keep up my end of the bargain. I didn't think we'd do much more walking for the day, so I felt safe in making this hike. Little did I know that we'd have so much trouble finding a cab to go to the London Eye this evening. We walked at least 20 blocks trying to find one. So far, this was the only time that Butch got worked up. Two people jumped in front of us for the cab. He was starting to panic that we weren't going to make our 6:15 appointment. We did, all was well and he calmed down.

Another thing we've learned. Apparently, the English must be some of the most illiterate people in the world. That's quite a statement to make and totally, politically incorrect. I really am only joking, but we cannot find a book store anywhere. I finished the book I brought 2 days ago and I'm going crazy without a new one. I don't ever recall going a day without reading a book since I learned to read as a child. I have some magazines with me, but they just don't fill the bill. I had a book out to bring, because I knew I'd need it. Either Butch didn't pack it, or I got side-tracked at home and never put it out.

Another bit of bad luck. It looks like the electric here has burned up my curling iron. I can't find a place to buy a new one either.

We're running out of money. We converted $1000 before we left. It's almost all gone and we've only used it for food, tips and taxi's. All entrance fees were pre-paid and we haven't bought anything significant yet. Everything's expensive here.

So now I'm crippled, broke and bookless with crappy hair. Ahhh, the memories!!

Lest you feel too sorry for me, take a look at some of what we've been experiencing:




 All of the pictures above are from our drive through the Cotswold's. The picture of Butch and I was taken in front of a 16th century country church. That's why I like private guides---they take you off the beaten path. Above is one of the many thatched roof cottages we saw.
 This looks like a postcard---a photo of Warrick Castle. Notice the reflection on the water?
 Our guide arranged for a private meeting with the queen. Cool! Now I can call her when I'm in town.
Looks like "Daisy"---the lady of Warrick Castle copied my family portrait idea. I do like her walls better.

PS By the time this posts, it's the next day here. Just wanted to update you. Butch made the hike to a bookstore far away from here, so I'm all set for the rest of the trip. We did Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey today. Awesome. Off to Liverpool and the Beatles tomorrow! We got a little money, probably not enough. I have a book. My legs are still throbbing and the hair has not improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.