Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Favorite Photos

The flower boxes are incredible and they are all over England. Hanging baskets are on nearly every street post too.

Jeanne, isn't this bactopa? Look at the photo above---I've never seen it in blue.
I have no idea what this is about, but you can bet I won't be eating it. I didn't even have the nerve to ask what it was.
I consider myself pretty adventuresome about food except for meats---not really into odd things in that department. In my effort to fully immerse myself into the English culture, I ordered this as an appetizer. It's lentils and onions with a poached egg on top. I had to call the waiter back to find out what I was supposed to do with this---mix it all up together or eat the egg separate---that's what I asked. His response: "you can mix it all up or eat the egg first---it's up to you." Big help. I mixed it all up. It was just okay, but not disgusting. I'm not a huge raw onion fan. Later, our guide, David said he had never heard of this dish, so apparently, it wasn't even English. Figures.
 These signs were all over---but mostly more professionally done. Stands for 'water closet', but made me think of Walter and Chris.
 We went to church here on Sunday. It was an Anglican church, but it was right around the corner from our hotel---17th century. Everything is awesomely old here. Just gorgeous. The service was so similar to our Catholic Mass. I said the rosary like I usually do on Sunday, but we didn't take communion.
This is the outside of the church. Our servicemen during WWII used this church for worship---all denominations.

 This made me want to mail something. But then I'd have to write something, figure out stamps---too much work. I just love the crowns on everything and the queen's initials---ER (Elizabeth Rex).
The two of us in front of Buckingham Palace. The palace itself was a little disappointing after all the palaces and castles we've seen. The queen doesn't live here anyway.
This is where the English term "odd duck" came from.
A close-up of said odd duck.
First off, they need to get their songs straight! It's the Hokey Pokey!
Talk about a typo!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.