Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Recipe

This was my first attempt at making gumbo. Having Cajun friends provides us with pleny of opportunities to have "authentic" gumbo. But, I came across this recipe and decided to give it a go. I didn't have the required cast iron skillet, but it worked anyway. Patience isn't really my virtue but is required while making the "roux". Also, notice that there isn't a single spice or salt and pepper added. The flavor comes from the onion, celery and sausage.

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
1 (4 1/2 lb.) chicken (I used 6 boneless chicken breasts).
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 onion, quartered
3 bay leaves

In large dutch oven place all ingredients and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Remove chicken from broth. Let cool. Chop chicken, set aside. Strain broth, discarding solids; reserve 12 cups broth.

1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour

In a cast iron skillet, combine oil and flour; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until roux is the color of dark caramel---about 20 minutes.

4 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped celery

Stir in chopped onion and celery into the roux; Cook 10 minutes. Transfer to dutch oven with 12 cups broth. Add:
chicken
2 pounds frozen, sliced okra
1 pound Cajun smoked sausage cut into 1/4 slices (I used Johnsonville New Orleans Style smoked sausage---the whole pack).
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 hours. Stir occasionally.

Serve over hot cooked rice.

10-12 servings.

2 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds really good. What made you decide to try it? I'll have to give it a go !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to try it because it looked easy. I somehow overlooked the 20 minute roux preparation. I used chicken that I had already pre-boiled, so that part was ready to go. Plus, with my mini food processor, chopping all those onions and celery was a cinch. It was just the roux that took awhile. It was worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.