Saturday, November 24, 2007

DONE!!!

The Christmas decorating, that is---well, at least for 2 weeks until we get our live tree. I actually started on Thanksgiving day, worked some yesterday and then got up at 5 a.m. to finish today---was done by 11:00 a.m. What a job. There was a time when I really enjoyed it all, but no more. Somewhere along the line, it turned into a big ordeal. I think it started with my Christmas closet 12 1/2 years ago when we moved into this house. I was so excited to have a walk-in Christmas closet as opposed to the pull-down steps to the attic in our other house. In fact, it was the closet that just about sold the house for me. But you know what, even with the closet, it's a lot of work---hauling up and down (with the number of times I go up and down these steps everyday, I don't know how I can be fat---it's unfair, I tell you). Back to the decorating---I literally have to put everything away downstairs to make room for the Christmas decorations. And I only do 4 rooms: living, dining, family and kitchen. Now with everyone out-of-state, it almost seems pointless. I don't entertain at Christmas like I used to. This year, we're having our friends for drinks before going to dinner and that's about it. I considered scaling back, but then figured the "kids" (big and little) would be disappointed. I must admit, when it's all done, I love it. But the actual "doing" puts a dread into my Thanksgiving like nothing else. And the "taking down" puts a damper on my Christmas. For a couple of hours this morning, it was actually quite pleasant. I put on Christmas music, lit a candle, and made my tea. Working while it's still dark outside is really fun to me. I've always enjoyed those quiet hours in the morning.

I have some ladies that decorate the outside of the house and then decorate my banister in the entry with garland, tulle, white lights, foliage and ornaments. It looks awesome and can't imagine how long it would take if I had to do all of that too. But this year, I guess they were in a hurry, because they left a huge mess. Usually they vacuum after they finish---even the fake stuff sheds all over the place.

Butch vacuumed the entire downstairs for me---huge help as I obsess until everything is done. I vacuumed the upstairs including the attic---AGAIN! Totally unfair! Remember, it was just this summer when I did it. Little did I know that getting a new roof caused such a mess INSIDE the house. But all is nice and clean and good in my world!

For those of you that have not seen my house at Christmas, I'll post a few pictures in a day or so. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....

1 comment:

  1. Just thinking about how festive and beautiful your house looks at Christmas puts me in the Christmas spirit! I'm so glad you didn't scale back this year! I did scale back though this year. I really only have the family room to decorate and decided not to put out all the little knick knacks. It seems too junky, so I've decided to look for some festive arrangements and such instead. I'm thinking of doing all of my banisters too. A few new table linens and my house should take on a much more sophisticated look. That's my goal anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.