Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Tuesday Thoughts About...

...fancy dinners. Back in the day, we went to so many black tie affairs. Heck, my whole life revolved around fund raising back then. In 1994, I even won a national award for "fund raising executives" in Nashville. Those parties were fun....then! Now, not so much. Used to be we were happy to dance the night away. Now, we're just ready to leave after the speakers. Ummm, even they can get too long---and usually do.

Well, last night, it wasn't exactly a black tie affair, but we had to go to the "President's Dinner." And when I say "had to", I mean we really had no choice. Butch is on the board of TPAC (Tennessee Performing Arts Center). This dinner was to honor the president of TPAC who is retiring.

Here's our take on it. The cocktail hour was fine. We met a guy from St. Louis, so that was fun. Our dinner companions were engaging too. Turns out we had the "Catholic thing" in common. Nashville is a small Catholic community compared to what we're used to. The dinner was lousy---baked chicken--which I absolutely hate. It had no flavor and needed salt in the worst way---none on the table. It was served on a bed of corn---which could have been good had there been some salt. There was a flimsy salad--and by that I mean, little lettuce, one cherry tomato and 4 blueberries. No rolls. NO ROLLS! I have never been to a dinner where they didn't serve any bread. For dessert, we got 1/3 slice of cake. Really small. Too bad since that was the best thing. Basically, the whole thing seemed pretty cheap. Just not good.

After dinner, the speeches started up. The outgoing president was fabulous, made a huge impact in Nashville, yada yada yada---we get it! Then the entertainment started. Now I LOVE theater, but it just got too darn long. The whole affair was 3 and a half hours--on a Monday night!! I asked Butch if we are just old now. We both decided that had it been a Friday or Saturday night it would have been better---not really more fun, but at least we wouldn't have to get up the next morning for work. Oh wait, we don't have to get up for work! That's right, we're retired!

I guess we're just old then.

One last graduation today and we're done for 4 more years!!!

I've had it with boring speeches!

2 comments:

  1. I think I would have found that a late night too - and on a Monday too! Thank goodness for retirement Tuesdays ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find all charity functions to be monotonous, even when going with good friends, they are just so indistinguishable from one another (the functions, not the friends)!

    I do miss the black tie Christmas parties my husband's company used to have back in the day (back in the day when we were young enough to enjoy them when they ran into the wee hours of the morning.) Yes, we are getting old too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.