Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Some Days Are Just Like That!

Last Thursday, I had a lot going on. I left the house at exactly 8:35 a.m. I got to Starbucks--and as usual, the line was all the way out to the street. Still, when I pulled up to the window, it was only 8:44! That's the fastest I've ever gotten through Starbucks line--from my driveway to the pick up window---exactly 9 minutes!! That's a record for sure. I was feeling pretty good since I wasn't due at the doctor's until 9:30.

Right across the street from the doctor's office is Chic-Fil-A. Dare I try it? Yes the very same Chic-Fil-A that did me in a couple years ago. No way was I going inside. The drive thru is always crazy. Still, I got in the line knowing I easily had a half hour. Well, that went so smoothly. They have a different set up now. There is a person with an iPad in each line taking orders. No more waiting your turn to the speaker where people hold up the line by not knowing what they want to get. Anyway, I was in and out in no time. Those chicken bites on the mini rolls...what can I say...soooo good.

Now, I had a bit of a dilemma. I didn't have quite enough time to enjoy my breakfast in its entirety. So, I decided to go on to the doctor's to see if I might get in 15 minutes early. I brought my book, so I wasn't really concerned about the possible wait. After signing in, I barely sat down when they called me back. (I was having stitches removed from my extra large pore that I had closed. Now lest you think I'm that vain, well, I guess I am. I made the decision when I was on my sister's cruise in February. Three of them individually said something similar to: "hold still Barb, you have something on your nose!" Uh, no, that's my extra large crater mole that's caused by old age!) I was out of the office before it was even my appointment time!!

I enjoyed my breakfast in the parking lot with my book. Yum. I was playing bridge today, but there was to be no lunch, so this was my lunch too.

From there, I ran by Walgreen's to pick up my pictures. Then it was to Kroger's to pick up a few groceries. I got to the church where we were to play bridge by 10 a.m. The game wasn't starting until 10:30, so that gave me plenty of time to park, go in and figure out where I needed to be (we normally play at a country club--but the game moved to the church today) and to meet my partner, Lucy. I had never played with her before. I wandered around a bit and didn't see anyone. This is a huge church. Finally, I encountered a woman taking mail to the box. I asked her where the bridge group was meeting. She said there was no bridge group there. I insisted there was--just a temporary thing. She said, "well, I'm the secretary and I know everything that goes on here. I'm telling you, there's no bridge game here today!" I asked her the address of this church. She gave it to me and I left.

When the organizer of the game called me to see if I'd play with Lucy, she was the one who told me of the location change. When she said it was the United Methodist Church on Franklin Rd., I knew exactly where it was. The notes I had taken said to go around back to the lower level and go in the second door. I don't know why, but I jotted down the address. I'm so glad I did. When I got back to the car---where I had left my little paper---I discovered  I was at the wrong church!

Now I'm a bit panicky. I knew it. My day was just going too smoothly! It was too good to be true. Now it's 10:20 and I'm going to be late. I am NEVER late! If you want to know how I really feel about lateness, you can read my post from 2011.

My stress level is starting to rise. According to my GPS, I only have 5 miles and 10 minutes to go. That puts me there at exactly 10:30---no time to figure out the parking or where I need to be. You need to understand that when it comes to bridge, it starts exactly on time. 47 other people depend on it. One person cannot hold up the works. It puts pressure on my partner who I don't even know. Not a great way to start with someone new---no time to discuss how she plays and what conventions she uses. Worse yet, being late is not a good impression to make on a new person. Plus, she'll either have to sit out the first round or start with the director. Worse case, she would go home thinking I was not coming.

I'm really getting nervous. Then it happens. I hit the road work on Franklin road. Oh! My! Gosh! There was no way. I tried calling the director---I knew that was futile because since the game was starting, he would not be noticing his phone (all phones are on silent at bridge). Then on the off chance that the organizer might notice her phone, I called. Turns out that was her home phone. A gruff voice who was clearly awakened by my call said, "she's playing bridge and won't be home until 4:30!" Ooops, sorry teenage boy who clearly stayed up all night and is now sleeping all day!

There was only one thing to do and I did it. I took a deep breath. I tried to calm down. I finally got through the traffic but then, passed up the entrance to the church. Are you kidding me!!! There was no time for that. I turned around. Pulled in to the church parking lot and went around back. I had no idea where to go. Which door was the second door? Both were far apart. I picked one. As I approached, I saw that it was the early childhood education entrance. I knew that wasn't right and was sure the door would be locked. Well, surprisingly, it was open. I entered and started down the hall. when I heard, "there she is!" Nothing like calling attention to me in front of the entire room!! Everybody hates that person!!

I apologized profusely and sat down. With a real quick hello to my partner who I'm meeting for the first time, I picked up my cards and began. Lucy had me playing north--who is the score keeper and has a few organizational things to do prior to the game. I took another deep breath to calm down. The rest of the day was fine from there. Lucy and I didn't "place" but we were respectably in the middle. Not bad ---5th out of 12.

My plan was to meet Connie for our monthly pedicure after bridge. During the game, when I had a spare minute, I texted her to go ahead without me. I realized that with the location of this church, the road construction AND to top it off---the rain, I couldn't get there until probably 3:45. Now that puts us in rush hour traffic in Green Hills. That was a good call. We finished bridge at nearly 3. I didn't get home until 3:30. I was worn out. All that stress did me in. I just can't be late. And I prepare for every contingency so that I'm not. At least I thought so.

Sheesh! I guess some days are just like that!

2 comments:

  1. I'm always suspicious when things are going too well - but thankfully you had a plain sailing morning! I can imagine that anxiety building as time was ticking by in the afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the Scots poet, Robbie Burns, put it: "The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men gang aft agley"! (often go awry). Hoping the writing of it all down eased the stress of it ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.