So it started like this:
We started the fire about 10 a.m. while watching the Rose Parade. We had it going the entire day. I love a fire.
Then, it ended like this:
Yes, that would be firetrucks---as in plural---and one emergency vehicle. I did a stupid, stupid thing. I took the two very dried Christmas tree branches that I'd used to decorate the powder room and threw them in the fire. Of course I know how flammable they are. What I didn't know is that they would cause a chimney fire. It's not like they blew up there---they didn't---just burned very fast. It was loud---a roaring sound---long after the branches had burned---in about 10 seconds. We ran outside and saw sparks and the red glow coming from the chimney. I called the fire department. I offered Butch an "out!" I told him he could go upstairs, that I'd handle it since I was the idiot that caused it and he wouldn't have to be embarrassed. He stuck by my side---just like the time I set the alarm off in the Louvre. The firemen were very nice. By the time they got there, the fire was out. I was surprised that they brought those big trucks right up to my front door. I wish I could have gotten better pictures, but I was trying not to be seen.
They checked out everything. Butch had already used our fire extinguisher to put out the fire. It was still going a little, so one of the firemen asked for a pitcher of water. He said that if he used one of his tanks, it would make a huge mess. I have to admit, I was already thinking about that before they got here. I was visualizing water everywhere---and the work and destruction. It would have served me right for being such and idiot. I won't be making that mistake again!! Not exactly how we wanted to end New Year's Day!
And it had nothing to do with this. It was only my second glass!