Sunday, November 20, 2011

Storytelling Sunday---Stephanie's Arrival

It was the fall of 1976 and so much was happening all at the same time. Butch was working for Central Parking System and going to Washington University trying to complete his education. We tried to buy our first home, but the deal fell through at the last minute because the house needed a new roof. The seller wouldn't pay for it and we didn't have any extra money. We were pretty upset, but then found out 2 days later that Butch was being promoted and we were moving to Charleston, WV on January first. This all happened at the end of October.

On November 18, Butch was in Charleston finding a place for us to live. Sandy and I had gone to my mom's house for dinner. Afterwards, I started playing poker with Matt and some of his friends. It was about 10:30 when we finished. Sandy was asleep, so mom suggested that I just spend the night. I had not spent the night one time since marrying in 1971. This night I did.

Somewhere in the middle of the night, my water broke. I was scheduled to have a "C" section on Monday---this was early Friday morning the 19th. Mom took me to the hospital while Sandy slept unawares---thank goodness I was there.

I was not at all happy to have gone in to labor as that was the only advantage of having a "C" section--- avoiding the "before" pain in exchange for the "after." She was born at 5:18 a.m.

I've always believed that things happen for a reason and as they should. Whatever made me spend the night? Someone GREATER than us has always looked out for us.

We made our move, Butch continued with school and rose through the ranks of Central Parking and the rest is history. And Steph, she's 35 this weekend. We loved her from the start.


1 comment:

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.