Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Catching Up...

I need to go all the way back to last week. Pam, Nancy and I went to a new antique place in Bellvue. It was really nice---a little pricey---but set up so cute. And when it comes down to it, if you love it, you'll pay for it.
 They had the cutest tags on all of their stuff. The tags were punched with a scallop punch and attached with ribbons and pins. Makes me think these gals are scrapbookers. I didn't think to ask. Anyway, the tags were a little added bonus---I've added them to my stash.
Here's my haul---old casseroles---probably not microwave safe, blue linens, a vintage corner shelf that I plan to put in the sunroom.
 I had to have the pink tin and dresser scarf. The blue bowl is cool, not sure what I'm doing with that yet. And then that blue tablecloth embroidered in black---destined for my office. You'll see that later.

On to Washington.
When we arrived at the Mayflower Hotel (which is probably one of the nicest hotels I've ever been in---huge room), I immediately figured out where I would be setting up my "home-away-from-home" office. Knowing that I'd be up half the night, I needed a place to go.
That place is always the bathroom. We don't usually have suites or anything. I put the coffee/tea set-up in there. I was so happy that they had Twinings Tea---still riding high from that stop in London. Beverages, check.
I took the extra blanket, the decorative pillows from my bed and made a cozy little "nest" in the tub.

 I didn't have much in the way of food---a Butterfinger snack size and 2---actually, disgusting mints. But when you get up at "o-dark thirty" you do get hungry. By 7 a.m. it's really lunchtime for me these days. Better than nothing. I snagged a cookie one day and enjoyed that with my tea one night. I had everything I needed, tea, snack, computer, headphones to listen to Pandora, reading material and plenty of work that I wanted to do. Heaven! I can get along anywhere. I just can't be idle.
Always travel with a pashmina or scarf! This is why. Thank goodness, I took the scarf off before eating. I dribbled 1000 island dressing from my ruben sandwich. There was no time to change. Luckily, I covered it up with my scarf. Still, I tried to wash it out at the hotel---it didn't. I may have ruined one of my PINK tops---not like I don't have dozens more.

That reminds me---I alluded to another "health" related issue yesterday. Well, let's just suffice it to say that I experienced a problem that I do not ordinarily have. Putting it politely, I had to "bury" a Prep "H" wipe. I spent about $90.00 arming myself with every possible thing available. Ultimately, the situation got so bad I had to call my doctor, find a pharmacy and get a prescription in D.C. I know, TMI! It was not good. I may have been a little overzealous on those squat/thrust machines at Curves---but who knew I had "this" problem. Lesson learned---go a little easier.

One other thing I have to mention. I had the best time watching the Cards win the World Series. Those were the best games I've ever seen in baseball. I don't follow baseball unless the Cardinals make the Series. Janice and I had a bet going---I told her I'd only bet if I could have the Cards. She "hedged" her bet with others and actually had 3 bets going---2 for the Cards and the one with me. We had so much fun texting back and forth during the game. What an exciting game. She said it made her miss her "ball" days.

Arriving home Sunday, we went straight to the Titan's game. I've joked with my friends, that I've figured out a way to NOT have to go to the games. We tailgate, one of the girls uses my ticket, I leave and Butch "hitches" a ride home. The perfect plan. I just can't sit still for 4 hours and do nothing. What a waste of time. At least at home, I can watch the game, enjoy the commentary and STITCH at the same time. I actually can say I enjoy the game that way. The only thing I like about being at the stadium is tailgating with our friends. Otherwise, it's just long, boring, too hot (usually), or cold (sometimes). We have really good seats, but everyone stands just about the whole time. And then when you finally get to sit down, you have to get up about 50 times because people are going in and out. Just not fun. Anyway, my perfect plan is "flawed." It puts Butch in the position of being a "moocher" about the ride home. I get that. It's okay. I'm just glad that I have the girls to use my ticket. I always said that I only did the Titan's games for "love." Now I can still "love" the game from home.
After the game I went up to my office and decided to clean out my closet. I uncovered a few problems---or I should say, my "multiples" problem is clearly visible. Notebooks---I have a few. But how could I EVER resist those pink ones---you don't see pink binders all the time.
Now having this many envelopes is actually funny. I have every size possible. But I never seem to have what I need. Case in point, I needed a regular legal size envelope---nada, not a one---nor or there any regular envelopes---I have boxes from old stationary, invitations, and several boxes of card size from my card making days, etc. Can't seem to throw them out.
Notebooks---lots of them. I can't live without spiral bound notebooks. When mom died last year, I asked Jeanne for one so that I could start handling everything. I couldn't believe it when she said she didn't have any! Most of these aren't even new. I've always kept the girls notebooks at the end of the school year, tore out their stuff and kept them. I shouldn't have to buy another one for the rest of my life---unless it's pink.
 Binder clips---a nice big box. I use them in place of "chip" clips too. They come in handy for just about anything. I have a few floating in my car and beside my chair in the family room. I want everything I need at my fingertips.
The pens. I'm particular about the feel of a pen in my hand. I write a LOT! I like how the ink glides across my spiral bound notebooks. This is my favorite type. They are hard to find. When I do, I buy at least 3 boxes. They used to come in blue, but I haven't seen them in years and am sad that I don't have any left. I don't use red much, but had to have box of them. I might have enough for the rest of my life.
Bubble wrap---I think I've identified another problem. I decided to keep only what would fit on the lower shelf. I have grand plans to sell stuff on Ebay, but never quite get around to it. When I do, I'll have the packing materials.
Here's the whole thing cleaned out. It took me about 3 hours. I got rid of tons of stuff. Well, not really, Butch saw what I was getting rid of and moved a lot of it down to his office. Sort of defeats the purpose of purging if you just move it to another part of the house.
Now, finally, the view of my newly re-painted office. It used to be "hot" pink. I wanted to go with something completely different---more calming. I went with the same blue paint color I used on the ceiling in the kitchen and sunroom. I love white woodwork. It really sets off any color.

Here's that blue tablecloth. Perfect in my blue and black office. The lamp in the rear is one of a pair that I got from my "adopted" grandma in the early 1990's.
 This view is from my desk. Those bunnies sitting in the chair on the left I plan to put on Ebay---sometime. The paintings we bought on a cruise with our friends about 15 years ago.

Aside from the new plantation shutters, I didn't want to spend a lot of money in this room. These are about the cheapest window treatments you can do. They match what I have in "mindy's" room except her room is pink. I wanted a uniform look from the outside. There is a transom window under them.
 But what you need to know is that they are totally fake. This is NOT fabric rolled up. The fabric is just wound around a cardboard tube. If I knew how to sew, I'd use a swimming noodle---that way you could have it as fat as you want. Then, it's just a scrap of fabric about an inch or two wide, rolled up and pinned in place on the end---giving the illusion that it's all fabric. Really cheap---well, except for the labor---they always get you there!
This is my most favorite piece of needlework I've ever done. It's called "kaleidescope." It was really hard---especially on that black. I thought I would lose my mind. It was so hard to see---especially since my robes are black---it was very hard to see a contrast to stitch. I need to have that tired, worn mat replaced. I'll put that on the list.

And there you are---all up-to-date. We only had 2 trick-or-treaters last night. I actually had almost all of the Halloween stuff put away last week. A month is enough for me. I did it before we went to England which was about September 10. Butch said, "you're taking it all down before Halloween?" I was "over it."

Hive update: not good. I have not been able to taper down yet. Trying today, say a prayer. My doctor called yesterday and is concerned about the level of Prednisone I'm on for so long this time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When the doctor worries, I worry. I don't know what bad stuff it's doing to me, but I don't need anything else---with the "roids" and all.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.