Sunday, October 9, 2011

Storytelling Sunday---Mom Dashed My Dreams!

Actually, I never really dreamed of being a singer. But if I had, mom dashed that dream---and wasn't even very nice about it. Here's the story.

From first grade through junior year of high school, I was in Camp Fire Girls. In about 7th grade, I was working with some "bluebird" groups in a teaching capacity---which included teaching them many Camp Fire songs. Apparently, one of the "higher ups" thought I had a good voice. She asked me to lead the singing at our "Campfire Council"---a pretty big deal as all Camp Fire Girls from north county attend to receive awards. I did fine---it was my first time in front of a microphone---that was pretty scary---to hear yourself so loud.

Fast forward a few years. A few boys in the neighborhood (Steve Martin---not the famous one, Dean Meyer, Bob Anderson (one of my first boyfriends---but we weren't dating yet), and his brother Jon, decided to start a band. I don't even remember what their name was. Anyway, they thought it would be a good idea to have a girl singer, so I got the job. We practiced for about three sessions when I finally told mom what was going on. She didn't ask a single question, just said, "NO"! WTF! But those were the days that you did what you were told. And of course I was, "setting a good example for my younger brothers and sisters." I can't even recall being that upset. I have no grand illusions that I have any kind of a great voice---although people in church have complimented me now and then.

Anyway, the band only had one "gig"---our CYC dance at St. Aloysius, that I got for them. Sometime around 9 p.m., one of the priests came out and told them to lower the volume. It lead to an unpleasant scene, so they packed up and left. They never had another paid "gig" and the band folded shortly thereafter. I was already out of the band by then, so I never got my big break.

I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. When Steph and her best friend, Malinda and Mindy wanted to take singing lessons, Connie and I shared the driving. This culminated in to one big performance. They weren't so hot, so we didn't sign them up again.

In the 7th grade, Steph came out to the car after school all excited and said that she'd been accepted in to the "All State Chorus." My exact words were, "Well, Steph, that's great. But did they just want some regular voices?" She wasn't too happy with reaction either. To this day, she's held it against me that I didn't let her take dancing lessons. We laughed when she took ballet and tap in college---but that's another story. She did once call me---"Mom, dasher of dreams." Made me laugh anyway.

I can also hold my own in kareoke. Our family loves that. In fact the adults really get "in" to it. The last time we did it, we were at it for hours. Somewhere around 11 p.m. we looked around and realized all the kids had gone and it was just us adults. They were impressed that I knew the old Etta James song, "At Last."

Connie and I also make a pretty powerful duet for "Locomotion"---but that's been quite a few years now---back when the Bellevue Pub was around. We also were part of a group that sang "Heard it through the grapevine"---I don't remember who else did it with us---probably Trish and Pam. Hugh was the big winner that night---he sounds EXACTLY like Elvis. What I remember most about that night was not having a single drink, but waking up the next morning feeling like I'd been run over by a truck---too much smoke, yelling, screaming for Hugh and not getting to bed until 3 a.m. or so.

Now the reason for today's story is this. I never really wanted to be a singer, or lost any sleep over that. But I definitely want to be in a "flash mob." In fact, it's on my bucket list. I don't have much on it because I can't really think of anything to put on it. (Butch is just the opposite---he says he's adding things to a bucket list that he NEVER wants to do again---like sit in floor seats at a concert).

The "flash mob" that I want to be in is the dancing type. The one below wouldn't be too bad if I could just be part of the chorus---and of course, I'd have to know how to sing in Italian. Enjoy the video!!

Dia Eruopeo de la Opera en Pamplona

On second thought, I'm going to change my bucket list to read:
"I want to BE SURPRISED by a "flash mob"---of any type!!

PS One last thing---if you grow up in a large family, ALL of your hopes and dreams will be crushed. Siblings are brutal---I'll have to tell the story some time about my modeling career!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.