Monday, May 23, 2011

One of the Plagues Hits Nashville

Growing up in St. Louis, I don't ever remember anything like this. But the very first year we moved to Nashville, we experienced the 13 year locusts. And this year is the 2nd go round. Not to mention the 7 year variety that we've already experienced a few times. 26 years ago (yes, that's how long we've been in Nashville), Mindy was a baby in the car seat. I was in the "hook up" line waiting for school to let out when she started screaming. She was only about 5 months old. I turned around to see one of these disgusting cicadas on her mouth---I think it was IN her mouth, but don't really remember. Steph challenged me on that, so I'm just saying "on" her mouth since I'm not so sure.



 I wish I had taken the picture BEFORE the mulch was added---the empty shells were solid---literally, thousands of them. They come up from underground.
 When the locusts hatch, they go up into the trees.


You can 't see them so easily in this shot, but it's such a good picture of this red-branched maple that I wanted to include it.
If you look closely---even click on this picture to see it bigger, you can see their creepy, red, "bug" eyes.

Now here's a little video I made---not too bad for my first time:

I forgot to mention that I took this little video first thing in the morning. They are so loud you can hear them inside. Sounds more like those stifling hot, humid, take your breath away, dog days of deep August.

Lots more to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.