Monday, March 3, 2014

When it Comes to Cooking...

I think I'm ADD! Seriously.

On Friday night, I was planning a celebration dinner for Mindy---who just finished a special work certification AND to celebrate the newlyweds---Stephanie and Nicky. It's the dinner I planned to cook on New Year's Eve---but instead, we went out. Then I was going to cook it for my birthday. I got a better invitation. So the time was now.

I bought a standing rib in December. The menu included:

Caesar Salad with anchovies
Prime Rib with horseradish cream (homemade, of course)
Smashed potatoes
Creamed Spinach
Creamed Corn Butter Melts (bread)
Lemon Squares

Friday morning, I started my cooking. I had taken the butter out to soften for the lemon squares the night before. It's so cold in the house that it was still hard. I had just read a tip about softening butter by putting it in a ziplock bag and immersing it in hot water. The tip didn't say anything about how long. I guess 30 minutes was too long.
What a goopy mess. Not exactly how I wanted to start my cooking. I got the crust made and patted it in to the pan. That's when I realized I'd forgotten to grease and flour the pan. Oh well, I was nearly done, so I proceeded on and got it in the oven. As I turned back to the counter, I saw the powdered sugar and realized I had not put that in the crust mixture. I quickly got the crust back out of the oven and scraped it all back in to the bowl. I added the powdered sugar and STILL forgot to grease and flour the pan. Back in to the oven it went. I had 20 minutes to make the filling.

I needed to get out a lemon.  I noticed that the vegetable drawer needed cleaning. Then I saw the standing rib and got side tracked with looking for the rack that it needs to cook on. From there, I got out the roasting pan. Next I assembled the ingredients for the corn bread. Finally, I was able to stop myself and return to the lemon filling. By now, the crust was finished. I needed to get a move on so it wouldn't completely cool.
I was so happy for this nifty little gadget I bought about 3 or 5 years ago---thinking I would make fresh lemonade. I'd never did---but I knew exactly where it was! It worked perfect for getting the most lemon juice out of the lemon. I took all of the leftover pulp and put it in my water bottle. I drink water with lemon almost exclusively. I just might make some lemonade this summer. Probably not.

As I was putting the rest of the ingredients in the bowl for the lemon filling, I realized that instead of using a half cup measure for that powdered sugar, I only used a 1/3 cup measure. Apparently, I can't read either! I figured it would be a miracle if this dessert came out.
I've owned this roasting rack for over 20 years. This is probably only the 2nd or 3rd time I've used it. I was glad to have it, but when I took the meat out of the oven, it had collapsed. There was still enough depth to keep the meat separated from the fat. I cooked it for the recommended 2 hours (45 minutes at 450 to form a crusty top and seal in the juices) and an hour and 15 minutes at 350 for medium rare (the way Steph and Nicky like their meat. I figured the rest of us would have the outside part). The meat had to rest for 30 minutes after removing from the oven during which time it was supposed to continue cooking. Well, it was disgustingly rare!! We ended up slicing it and putting it under the broiler.

All in all the meal was good, but as far as I'm concerned, putting the meat under the broiler, toughened it. That's it. From now on, when I want prime rib, we're going out!
We had a nice table and some good wine. Everyone enjoyed the meal. And the dessert? Well, it turned out just fine!!!

The recipe is from my friend, Nancy. I called her to verify the cooking time and told her about my mishaps. She didn't think I'd messed it up. Anyway, she said I could share the recipe here. Soooo good and easy---just the way I like my recipes.

Lemon Squares
2 cups plain flour
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
Grease and flour 2 qt. oblong casserole dish. Mix ingredients above and press in to dish. Bake at 320 (yes, that's right) for 20 minutes. (Side note---even though I forgot to grease and flour, they came out just fine---no sticking).

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
4 T. fresh lemon
(lemon zest, optional---I didn't use it)
Mix well with mixer. Pour over crust and bake at 320 for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Refrigerate until cold.







6 comments:

  1. I'm glad I have some lunch to hand here as I read..you are making me hungry :) in a good way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of your cooking adventure is exactly why I hate being in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lemon squares sound lovely. My lunch is just about to come out of the oven. Not quite prime rib tho' :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no.. It sounds like it could have been a disaster...yet you pulled it off perfectly x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, it sounds like quite the adventurous day of cooking! LOL Some days it just seems things go that way! Glad to learn it all turned out ok in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to spend a day with you in your kitchen. I think we would have fun. Thanks for the tip about softening the butter...still laughing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.