Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Product Review

At the end of January, I bought myself a little birthday present. I got a deal from Cricut.com for a Cricut Mini for $79.00.

I have been a Cricut user since the very beginning---2005---even ordering my machine 6 months before they came out. That's how long I've had it. I have too many cartridges to count. I registered every product I own. I bought the Gypsy about 4 or 5 years ago and LOVE it!

The reason I decided to add the Cricut Mini to my collection was not only the good price, but the fact that now I could use my computer along with the Cricut Craft Room. I checked out all the system requirements for Macs before purchasing. I was all set---or so I thought.
It weighs 5 pounds. It's a little wider than my original Cricut, but not as tall. Plus, it can cut 8.5 x 12 rather than the 6 x 12 my original one can cut. It seems to be a much simpler device---just an "on/off" button and a "load and unload" button.

The problems began right away. I was unable to download the Cricut Craft Room software. After trying for a few days, I called tech support. I waited on hold the first time for 45 minutes. The person helping me seemed knowledgeable.  She spent about another 45 minutes trying everything she could think of. She even asked some other people for additional things to try. Still, we couldn't get the software downloaded. She told me that she would have another technician call me within 5 days. I told her a day that would be good for me. No call came that day. Of course, when the call came, I wasn't home. That person emailed me to set up another appointment.

We were all set for a Tuesday morning at 9 a.m. No call came. Wednesday came and went, still no call. Now we're at the end of February---last week to be exact. We had the call set for Friday. This time, she called. It only took about 10 minutes for her to figure out my problem. The software downloaded and I was all set. Or so I thought.

My next task was to link my Gypsy to the Cricut Craft Room. Once that's done, I would always work directly from my computer---so much faster for every task---searching, adding text and moving things around. I was really excited to get started. The Gypsy would not link. I tried it at least a dozen times over the weekend. I checked to make sure my Gypsy was updated---it was---I'm diligent about that too.

Not to be deterred, I was anxious to get started. With the Craft Room, you get a few free things. I used the font to play around and cut a title. I couldn't figure out how to buy images---which is one of the advantages---you don't have to buy the cartridge for one image.

It was so easy to align things---you can just type in your whole title at once. You can turn the whole thing easily---you can slant the letters---like italics. There are buttons to squish the letters or make them wide without having to figure out the dimensions. It's really so easy. I was pretty excited. 

Once I was ready to cut, the machine prompts me all the way. I select the type of paper. It then tells me which settings I need for the pressure and speed. This was especially helpful since at the scrapbook retreat a couple weeks ago, I kept forgetting to check those dials and ruined several pieces of card stock. I have my Cricut at home set and don't change the dials. I wasn't used to paying attention to the fact that other people did. Frustrating.
It worked like a charm. I was very satisfied. Now if I could just get my Gypsy linked, I'd be all set.

First thing Monday morning, I called Cricut when they opened---or so I thought!! I kept getting a message about their hours. Apparently, they were 15 minutes late to work on Monday. By the time I got through, I had to wait on hold again for another 45 minutes. I put the phone on speaker so that I could work while waiting. When the tech came on the line, I went to take it off of the speaker feature and accidentally HUNG UP!!! OMGosh! I was about to blow a gasket! I called back and again was on hold. This time, it was only 30 minutes. 

This tech spent 30 minutes trying to help me. We unregistered and re-registered my Gypsy. We restarted my computer. We tried everything. Finally she told me that they were having problems with the Mac OS 10.9.2 (Maverick) and they were working on a fix. She had no idea when that would happen or the time frame. I told her that I wanted some sort of assurance that I could return the machine for a full refund if I could not get the advantage of all the features. She said that I was past the two week return policy and would have to pay for the return and a restocking fee. I told her that was unacceptable as I had been trying for over a month to get my issues resolved. I asked to speak  to a manager. She put me on hold. When she came back, she asked if I had another computer that I could use to link my Gypsy. Once it was linked to the Craft Room, I could then use my computer and have access to everything. I repeated back to her, "Okay, now let me get this straight. It doesn't matter which computer I use to link my Gypsy. Once I do, I can access the Craft Room from any computer. Correct?" She said "yes." I was happy. I hung up.

I immediately went to Butch's computer. I already knew my desktop was too old as I'd already tried that. Turns out, Butch's computer is too old too. OMGosh! Talk about frustrated. I immediately sent an email to Cricut demanding a full refund. It's been two days now and I haven't heard a thing.

In the meantime, I've had another idea. I'm going to see if I can link my Gypsy with Steph's computer. I hope that works. I really want this to work. I know I will really like being able to use the Craft Room. 

Think about it---I'll be able to design things from my treadmill desk!! I can't wait. I'll let you know how it goes. 




3 comments:

  1. Oh how frustrating! I hope you can sort it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that all sounds very technical. Good for you sticking with it..

    ..now I'll go and cry in a corner at the thought of that price. It would be a lot more than that here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope they sort it out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.