Monday, March 3, 2014

Layout Share

Here are some of the layouts from my scrapbook retreat a couple weeks ago.
During Happy Hour at Christmas, it came up that many family members did not know how to shuffle cards. We decided that we would have a lesson before going to the club for brunch the next day. Some of the family wanted to learn how to make fancy bows. We met in the dining room---even Greg and Nicky needed help with the shuffling. I told the story of how I learned to “bridge” cards after my great-grandmother’s funeral. My cousin Rick Palank taught me. Anyway, we got the shuffling underway. Mitchell got frustrated right away. He and Greg blame their large hands on their inability to shuffle. Really, it was more of them needing to practice. Mitchell is used to excelling at anything he tries. When he didn’t, he gave up pretty quickly rather than work at it. At the other end of the table, Sandy helped Mindy and Stephanie make bows. We always talk about what a fun family we are, but sometimes I wonder if maybe we aren’t a little “nerdy.” I mean, what other family has bow making and card shuffling classes? All I can say is this family definitely has CLASS!!!
Sandy just LOVES Kid Rock. When he came to Charlotte, she was not about to pass up the opportunity to see him “live in concert. She and Greg had so much fun that Sandy decided to become a “groupie! She found out that he was going to be in Atlanta over the weekend---she was going!! Its not really like her to be so spontaneous. The kids complained at first, but after she reminded them of all she does, she told them they could just “suck it up! They ended up doing fine in the hotel room. Sandy and Greg had a great time at a “classy “ concert! This KID rocks for sure!




It all started at Thanksgiving. Elizabeth asked if I would teach her how to needlepoint. I told her it was way too expensive. I taught her to knit instead after seeing the note at left. When Christmas came, I surprised her with her very first needlepoint complete with scissors, frame, needles and magnet. When she opened it, she exclaimed, “mom! It’s real!!” She was so excited. We had just finished opening gifts on Christmas Eve. It was 10:30 p.m. and she said, “Grammy, can you teach me to needlepoint now?” I must have had a look on my face (of course I was thinking about how late it was and how tired I was) because she immediately added, “or anyone else that knows how!” I told her to get her stuff and I’d teach her. How can I resist her! She caught on pretty quickly. Just don’t look at the back! She keeps us in stitches!

Often when we are going on these retreats, I will suggest that we each plan a title or end page. This time, I don't remember who suggested it, but I'm glad they did.
 Karolyn planned this page. We all loved the technique of the circles as a way to stretch the pattern papers. She did the machine stitching for us prior to the retreat. 
 Janet planned this page. I loved her use of the vintage elements.
 Pam planned this layout and the one below. 

Yesterday, I spent some time embossing these tags for the next AYM kits. There's a hint to the color combination for April.

7 comments:

  1. Those are some great layouts Barbara - I love your title choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What other family has card shuffling and bow making classes? Need you ask? Okay, maybe not those exact examples; but similar..I think we'd all get along very well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like perfectly normal activities to me. I like the stitched circles, such a great use of colour and texture. Always looks as if you have fun in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it was a productive crop ! I really like all the double-page layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some wonderful layouts.....and I love your variety of titles. I think I need a family that likes bow making classes!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely layouts that made me smile, you have so much fun in your family x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm laughing here...Blessed are the children of scrapbookers...genius! Some lovely LO's. What fun it must have been

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.