Friday, September 7, 2012

New Hampshire---Days 5 & 6

First off, I have to say that although I'm having a lot of fun, I missed something important at bridge today. They were filming the new series "Nashville" at Hillwood Country Club. If I was at bridge, I would have figured out a way to be seen in the background! Darn!! Now when you see that episode, you'll just have to imagine me in the background waving to you!

Day 5:
 Today was mostly a driving day. On our way out of Maine, Butch and Walter surprised me by taking a   detour through Bangor, Maine---the home of Stephen King. Here's his house on a quiet, quite ordinary street. I only took one picture, because I didn't want to seem like a stalker. It's hard to see (try making the picture bigger by clicking on it), but on either side of the gate, are bats. I was very excited for this surprise as I've been a Stephen King fan since he started. In fact, if I haven't mentioned it---his latest book---11-22-63---is a must read. It's not creepy at all. It's about time travel and a guy trying to go back and prevent the assassination of President Kennedy.

We made a few sight-seeing stops along the way and had lunch alongside a river. I had the lobster stew---delish. When we arrived in Littleton, New Hampshire, we checked in to our quaint hotel---The Thayers Inn---from the 1800's. Walter had booked us rooms with a balcony and good view. Unfortunately, they only had one of these rooms available. Walter was quite worked up. He spoke to the manager the next day. Butch and I had taken the "lesser" room. Luckily for us---we're getting 2 of our 3 nights for FREE! For free, we can suck it up!!

Dinner was drinks and appetizers at a local place.

Day 6:
 Today we went to the "Castle in the Clouds." On the grounds, you take a short hike to this gorgeous waterfall. I realize that you are distracted by gorgeous me in this photo, but look over my shoulder and you can see the waterfall. I could have sent a better picture of the falls, but I figured you'd rather see ME!
 Castle in the Clouds. Very interesting house set on a beautiful mountaintop with great views all around. The house was pretty nice. The guy (Plant) made his millions in women's shoes.
 I loved all of these retro bathrooms. I would like to have one in my own house. Windows everywhere made most of the rooms very bright, even on a grey day.

We had lunch in the carriage house where we had yet another unusual waiter. Everything I asked seemed to baffle him. He would literally stammer, grow quiet as if I'd asked him a million dollar question. I merely asked about the desserts BEFORE I ordered my lunch. I was trying to decide if I wanted a cup of soup and dessert or not. Then I asked for a "to go" cup for me tea. After a long, thinking pause, he asked me---"you mean like a paper cup?"

We made our way to our next stop, geo-caching along the way. The guys did not want to go in the woods today as we were dressed up for out dinner reservations. We did stop at a drug store and get some bug spray. Mosquitoes are bad here.

Butch made one other surprise stop today. He pulled in to an antique shop and said, "okay, you have a half hour." That's all I need.
Found these cute vintage pins within seconds of walking in the door. Only $8. each---great bargain. There were others, but I didn't want to press my luck and have Butch feel like it wasn't a good idea to stop. Now I have to decide if I want to keep them for myself or share!
 My next surprise was dinner on a scenic train. That was so much fun and the food was delicious.
 You know how I love cloth tablecloths. Makes any meal a little more special. We didn't see any wildlife.
Our cute little dessert trio.

Afterwards, acting on a tip from our waiter, we drove to an area where we should have seen moose. We didn't. Not surprised. Bummer!

I'm loving this not knowing what we're doing until the night before. It makes each day a surprise. Today we're going to some famous pancake place. I do love pancakes---ever since Little Black Sambo.  Then, Chris and I have the rest of the day to ourselves while the guys go geo-caching. We plan to browse the shops in town and stitch while watching a movie in Chris' room (since hers is bigger and nicer---and expensive! We're sharing our good fortune with them---meaning our free room savings.)

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.