Friday, September 21, 2012

A Little Commentary

So, I got an email from a friend today saying, "I'm sad when I open up your blog and there isn't anything new. I don't know if that is a compliment to you or a sad state of my social life right now!" I don't think so. I just think it's fun to get a glimpse in to other people's lives once in awhile. Here's a little glimpse in to mine.

Today, I met a friend, Susan, for a movie. We saw Hope Springs with Merrill Streep and Tommy Lee Jones. Every middle-aged couple should see it. The movie was funny, but also rings true. When you've been married a long time, it's easy to fall into a rut. Pretty soon you find yourself going through the same routines, having little to say to each other, everything predictable. I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with that. There's something comforting in routine and predictability. But what I saw as the main problem in this 31 year marriage in this movie (we have 10 years on them) was that they were sleeping in separate bedrooms. To me, sleeping together is an intimate act (and I'm not talking sexual). When you take that out of your relationship, you lose that closeness. It would be easy to feel like there's really nothing left in the relationship.

Now I'm actually going somewhere with this. I wish for William and Kate, a long enough life together for them to get into a little rut. As for now, I hate what they are going through with the paparazzi. But here's the thing. In my younger days, I was know to be a little on the "frisky" side. Sure, I didn't have to worry about paparazzi, but still, I never felt the need to be naked outside in the daytime (well, except for that one time....only kidding---or maybe not). It just seems to me that if you are in the public eye, you would refrain from doing anything that could get you in trouble---even if you think you are "hidden." I had no idea there were cameras that could take photos a quarter of a mile away. Maybe they should be outlawed and then the paparazzi would be out of business---or at least their ability to intrude on the lives of the rich and famous would be gristly diminished.

And now, for our predictable Friday night---started with happy hour (just us tonight)---ordered a pizza (not so predictable) and now watching Shark Tank! Here's to predictable weekends....

2 comments:

  1. Oh Barbara I do so agree. those few moments when you get into bed and settle down can be just so vital for a relationship - and I am not talking sexual either. We ALWAYS say goodnight and give each other a kiss, even if we have been a bit silent with each other during the day. Same as we always say goodbye and I love you when either of us goes out without the other. Simply because if something happened to the person going out then the last thing we said to each other was something nice. We have been married 31 years so we are just getting used to each other LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..and we've been married for 24 years and we're nearly used to each other :)

    Barbara, I have been replying to comments and emails from you - and today I got two of them back with a "mail delivery failure" message. Wanted to let you know..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.