Monday, January 16, 2012

I Love Random Stuff!

It's been such a busy time right now with the holidays, Mindy's move, getting ready for AYM, Angie's shower and planning for a scrapbook retreat. Mindy's move is on Friday and there's some delivery just about every day this week leading up to it. Next week, I'll need to focus on a couple of classes, my trip to St. Louis and getting ready for Morgan's Winter Formal dinner here.

In the meantime, here are a few things that have been going on around here:

I went to JoAnn's to purchase some card stock for my AYM groups. I couldn't believe that the sales clerk had to ring up each piece separately. Do you know how long that took? That's ridiculous. Maybe the girl just didn't know how to do a whole batch at one time.

I took this cute picture of Mindy and Lauren when we went to the theater to see A Christmas Story. That's one of my favorites and I look forward to it every year. It was the girls first time. They loved it too.

One day this week, I went to Kroger's at 7 a.m. after Curves to pick up a few things. It drives me absolutely crazy that all of the aisles are blocked by boxes and pallets of food everywhere. I always thought that the stock boys were supposed to do that at night.

I'm sure I've already mentioned about the woman that bags groceries who has to be 85 years old. It's so sad---she is really humped over from osteoporosis. I asked her how she was doing. She replied, "it was really hard coming to work today after being off yesterday." I had always held out hope that she worked because she "wanted" to, but now it looks like she "has" to. That makes me really sad for her. To be that old and not be able to just kick back and enjoy your "later" years. I never have her take my groceries to the car. I hope no one else does either.
Speaking of old---most everyone knows that I play duplicate bridge every Thursday with a bunch of really old, old ladies. I can say that because none of them are computer savvy enough to ever read my blog. Anyway, this lady, Ruth, is 94 years old. She still drives and is very sharp at the bridge table. I asked her if I could take her picture---I was so impressed---I had no idea she was 94. We were talking about birthdays. She told me that she went SKY DIVING with her great-grandchildren (who are in their 30's) when she turned 90! That is amazing to me. I want to do it too! And here, I thought I was really something just suggesting that I "might" get a tattoo at 60---still think I might, but I've been too busy to work it in to the schedule---plus I don't really know where to go---I don't hang out in the sleazy part of town. I want my grandkids to think I'm cool too. So far, they do, as we have the same taste in music.
Calling all siblings---do you remember these dishes? I picked up this saucer at an antique shop. I could swear we had these dishes growing up. I believe they came out of the laundry detergent box. If we didn't' have them, someone we knew did. I clearly remember them. I wouldn't mind having a whole set now. They would go perfectly in my green and blue kitchen.
This isn't a very good picture, but it will have to do for now. Connie gave me this milk glass pitcher and matching glasses. It's very heavy. I couldn't believe she gave it to me---and that neither of her girls wanted it. The set belonged to her mother, so it's really old. This is not where it's going to stay, I just put it here because I didn't have anything else on the table right now. It's going to stay in the sunroom, but will be moved to the antique, round wicker table, once I have fresh flowers on this one. Or maybe I'll put the flowers in the pitcher and leave it right where it is. We'll see. Anyway, I just love it!
Last week, after stitching, Connie and Karolyn were extolling the merits of "homegrown" honey from middle TN. Karolyn thinks it could be the answer to my hive problems. Although my hives are NOT allergy related, I'm willing to try anything. I agreed to get some. I had no idea how many different types of honey there are. I settled on this one because  it was "unfiltered." You could see all kinds of "crud" floating around. I figured that must be the really good stuff. Connie's friend who is a bee keeper and really believes in the value of a teaspoon of honey every day said that basically, filtered and unfiltered is just like pulp or no pulp---both have the same benefits. It's just a personal preference.

When I "took" my first teaspoon full, I about gagged. I don't really like honey unless it's on a biscuit. I can't have biscuits every day---simply can't afford that indulgence. So I figured out a better way to take it. I sort of swallow it in one big "hunk." It still tastes awful, but it goes down fast and I have my breakfast right after.

I'm told it could take up to 3 months to see if it makes any kind of difference. I figure this jar will last that long. I'm going to do it---I'll try anything---it can't hurt.
I bought my first pair of UGGS up in Kalamazoo when we were visiting Sandy in November. I knew that I would never pay that kind of money for something so ugly---hence the name UGGS! These were less than half price. That makes a lot of sense to me because the weather in Michingan is so bad---snowy, slushy and rainy during the time you would wear UGGS, that these---sweater type---would be ruined in no time flat. On the other hand, here in TN, our weather is pretty mild. I wore them for the first time this week and am totally in love! They are so comfortable and warm. I've always said that my feet freeze in September and don't thaw until May. Not with these. My toes stay all toasty. Morgan complimented me on wearing them "properly" by tucking my pants inside of them. Huh? I'm not blind---I see how people wear them. At first, I didn't think I would like going "sock less" in them. I don't like the feeling of wearing shoes without socks, but these feel more like slippers. Very comfortable. I can see I'll be wearing them all winter. I'll be taking them on our ski trip in a couple of weeks too.

Speaking of trips, we're going to the Holy Land in March. My friend, Madelyn asked me if I was going to the Vanderbilt Travel Clinic to find out what immunizations I need to go to that part of the world. First of all, I didn't even know there was such a thing. Instead, I looked them up on the internet and filled out a little questionnaire. They responded by saying that I needed the following immunizations:
Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella booster, and a tetanus shot. I called my doctor, because I didn't know whether I've had any of these recently. The nurse called me back later and said that, yes, I needed ALL of these, plus a polio booster. She said they don't stock them, so I should just go to a CVS Pharmacy's Minute Clinic. I went today.
Here they are---5 shots---3 in the left arm and 2 in the right. I can't wait to tell Morgan. Even at 15, she freaks out about shots. Any time she has to go to the doctor, she asks everyone if they think she'll have to get a shot. 

When it comes to health, I do whatever is recommended. This is definitely one area that "I don't care how much it costs." ($400 to be exact.) I'll be "paying" for it tomorrow when the soreness sets in. I even thought having them all at once might set off my hives, but they didn't. That's a good sign as I plan to try another "step down" with my prednisone on Monday. I can't do it if I'm still breaking out.

Okay, I guess that just about brings you up-to-date. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.