Sunday, July 17, 2011

My "Peeps" and the First Harvest

 My "peeps"were here this weekend---Jeanne, Janet and Janice. This is mostly what we did---with frozen pool drinks, of course! So nice to just hang out and relax in the pool.

Stephanie had a work related party at her house that she invited us to.  For the first time in my life, I was the oldest in the room. All of us were the oldest by nearly 25 years, but still I was the OLDEST! That really struck me. When did that happen? Anyway, we had different martinis---the chocolate and bubblegum were the best. I only had one chocolate since I was the designated driver, but I'm told the bubblegum were excellent too. It was a whole lot of fun---really---more fun than we expected. I hope we "Zimmermann's" didn't embarrass Steph in front of her work people. Several told us as we were leaving that we were a hilarious family. I agree---we are pretty much fun.

Here is my first tomato harvest. My sisters took great delight in picking them first---they can be such babies---reverting to little kids to annoy the hell out of me. Didn't they get enough pleasure out of that 50 years ago? I guess not! A couple could have stayed on the vine for another day. But oh, no, they had to pick them all! They are pretty small---notice the glass and the regular sized tomatoes in the front---those bigger ones are from Nancy's garden. Mine are not as small as cherry tomatoes, but about the size of golf balls. I joked that I was going to send these home with them to St. Louis with them so they could have some really little sandwiches.

These are how my tomatoes look in their gro-boxes. There  are two plants here with a basil plant.

There are two plants here too, but the one on the right is the one that the rabbits ate all the flowers from, so it has no tomatoes.


We played poker on Saturday night. Here is Janet's pile.

And here's mine. When it was all said and done, Butch lost the most---about $16.00. I was the big winner with $12.65 and Janet won about $7.00. Janice broke even---although, I find that hard to believe. Seems to me she broke a hundred somewhere along the line. Maybe she was just showing off. I heard that Texans do that sort of thing. Jeanne said she lost about $4.00. We had a great time---as always.

Then, right after the game, those big babies ATE my entire first harvest. They thought it was so funny, until I reminded them that they just ate what I was sending home with them for those teeny sandwiches. Then Jeanne hit me with a zinger---"Well Nashville tomatoes aren't as good as St. Louis tomatoes anyway." Next time, I'm just going to throw the tomatoes at them!!

And Janet and I have a little bet going that Jeanne will need to stop three times on the way home to use the bathroom. She definitely has some issues there. I've got $5.00 riding on it.

Can't wait until they are here again. Jennifer, Sharon and Joyce, we missed you and you missed a good time! Next summer....

1 comment:

  1. My friends definitely loved you guys. I am so glad you could come!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.