Thursday, July 15, 2010

Here's How it Went!


You'll have to figure out the pictures.

Our trip was great as usual. Disney is a place that the whole family loves. It was hot---my tip that I read about keeping sweat from dripping into my eyes and burning (put a coat of chapstick on your eyebrows)---didn't work. And did I mention it was hot? I've decided that if you're having fun and it's hot, it doesn't bother you as much. But if you are not having fun and it's hot, all you can think about is how hot it is. Still not as hot as that Mexico vacation a few years ago. Luckily for us, we were having fun the whole time, so the heat didn't stop us---nor did the showers or lines. We're used to handling it all.

We have Disney down to an exact science---arrive at the opening of the early park for the day---Butch or Greg collects the entrance passes and runs for fast passes---ride all major rides within the first hour---and never mind about food. Re-ride major rides with fast passes. Barb sits around with Elizabeth and waits while they ride the big rides. Elizabeth even rode some of the big ones this time---wherever she met the height limit. Sandy got on some of the bigger rides too. I rode a couple, but I have a queasy stomach on anything that spins too much.

I admittedly have a problem with obsessive counting. With 11 people, I'm constantly counting everyone. When the 3 teenagers went off by themselves, it really helped by reducing my counting to 8. It's annoying to be me sometimes.

11 people going to the bathroom is just plain ridiculous. For some reason, everyone doesn't go at the same time. Just about the time we're ready to move on, someone else decides to "go." A potty stop takes at least a half hour.

I had hoped to have some down time at the hotel, so brought my stitching. My Gingher scissors (interpret that expensive) were used for everything but stitching---cutting off tags, cutting out temporary tattoos, welting (that Mitchell inadvertently pulled out of the sofa) and hair. It will be a miracle if they aren't ruined.

Speaking of Mitchell, he drew the short straw and had to stay in our room. That wasn't all bad considering he was the only one in the family to have a bed entirely to himself. I think I really got him though when he first came in. I said, "Okay Mitchell, you and I are sharing a bed. Which one do you want?" I ended up laughing and blowing the whole thing, but the look on his face was pretty good. One night, little did I know that he made a phone call to his parents from the bathroom at 2 a.m. because his stomach was hurting. He left and we never even heard the door! In the morning, when he wasn't in his bed, it did freak me out for a bit. I guess it's pretty easy to lose a kid in a hotel room after all.

Mitchell left his clothes in his parents room across the hall. He just let his dirty clothes pile up in our room between his bed and the wall and behind the bathroom door----his big 'ol clompin' shoes were behind the door too. By the end of the week, we almost couldn't get the door open. One night when the teens got home about 11:30 p.m., I thought he was going to get his pajamas. When I asked him about it, he said that he was wearing them. That turned out to be a pattern---whatever he wore all day, he slept in at night---that might be a slight exaggeration as I didn't really keep track of what he was wearing to bed each night. I guess I'm glad I didn't share a bed with him after all! Those previous pictures of the messy room were Steph, Mindy, Jordan and Morgan's.

Butch still takes care of all "his" girls. He goes downstairs and gets tea for me every morning. He is also everyone's alarm clock. Luckily we had adjoining rooms which made it easier. Everyone gives him "jobs" to do. Morgan needed the padded inserts to her bathing suit top put back in---that was cute to see him trying to figure out which way they were supposed to go. He charges cell phones, puts new batteries in things, cuts off tags, collects receipts. He attempted to put a temporary tattoo on Elizabeth's cheek, but put it on wrong---he'd never done that before. He's constantly checking up on everyone---do you have your phones, room keys, etc. Besides all that, basically, he's the pack horse. Today he didn't think he needed to carry the back pack, but the girls all insisted that "we" needed it. Stephanie and Mindy each added an extra pair of shoes. He asked them why they wouldn't wear the most comfortable ones to begin with---to which Mindy responded----"DAD! I'm tired of being a fashion victim!" Reminds me of a weekend trip to St. Louis in the 80's where among the 4 of us girls, we had 26 pairs of shoes. He didn't get it then either! We're just glad he didn't try to bring the fanny pack this time. Yes, he still has one or two.

Besides the shoes, the back pack contained several pairs of sunglasses, lip glosses, 2 cameras,
3 phones, Mindy's Disney insulated cup, Steph's Sprite, 3 packs of crackers/cereal bars, 1 tampon, 2 credit cards and 6 rain ponchos---not a single thing was HIS. He should go on Let's Make a Deal---as he has everything anyone asks for---safety pins, sunblock, band aids (he always travels with a first aid kit), shampoo, cell phone charger, toothpaste---he wonders how anyone travels without him! Sometimes, so do we!

I do my part too---seems someone always needs a pair of my socks or a t shirt, hair brush, hairspray, etc. I do everyone's hair at some point---Mindy included, Mitchell excluded. Vacation is synonymous with French braids. Seems like someone always needs to "borrow" my toothpaste, face cleanser, or whatever. On the way home one night, Jordan asked if she could borrow my shampoo and creme rinse. I said yes, but everyone knows that I take a shower before bed whenever I travel. I no sooner get in the shower than I realize that she snatched it BEFORE I had a chance use it. Teenagers---sheesh.

Disney is the best place to see families behaving badly. Rudeness is everywhere. Everyone seems to think that Disney is a good excuse to wear every tacky t shirt you own. Lots of ugly clothes---with people to match. I'm glad my family likes to look "cute" when on vacation. Even if their feet hurt.

We went to a Rolling Stones concert followed by a Beatles (not to be confused with the picture of the hugest beetle we've ever seen) concert one night. It really bothered me that the people singing along seemed soooo old---which makes me think we look that old too. What a downer. It was fun to see so many young people singing along. We might be getting old, but at least our music isn't!

Poor Victoria can sometimes get lost in the shuffle. She's always been at that in-between age and probably will be for about 5 more years---too young to run around with the teens. I was glad to see her get singled out by one of the crazy Disney characters. She got to be the center of attention for a few minutes.

Conversations overheard:
Jordan: "Morgan, I wouldn't like you if you only had one arm."

Elizabeth: "I don't think Jordan knows me. She hasn't looked at me or said my name."

I don't remember which one of the girls said this, but Mindy can attest that it's is true---"your car is like your purse." Mindy still hasn't emptied her car since her move 2 years ago.

Great trip, good to be home!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. If you would like a response from me, then please leave your email address.